Engine Bay question! What color to paint?

69clark

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Ravena, NY
As you guys know I am building a new engine for the cobra. I have done a lot of wire hiding in the past but now that the motor is out I am going all the way with it. Everthing I don't need is gone or going to be gone and the rest will be hid as best as possible.

My question is, should I paint the engine bay white or should I do a satin black. Now before you guys go nuts here is the deal. I orignally thought that black would look cheap a white would be the only way to go but then I saw this page on stangnet: http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/MAC-Stainless-Mustang-Dress-Up.html

The black actually looked good. I think that if I go black it will help make the engine stand out (which is what I am after, along with removing all the smog and emissions junk) and help hide the wires (that have to be there) and all the unsitely holes that are all over the bay from the factory. Basically I think that the black with clean the look up as well as make everything (not engine) sort of be camoed in rather than stand out against the white. Let me know what you guys would go with.

Pic of unfinished engine bay

Click to enlarge!

Mocked up engine

• Sponsors (?)

Black would deff help it keep clean but it might also look like your car was black and cheaped out when it got painted white. Hard decision its a tossup, that black does look pretty sharp and with that intake it would prob look good.

What valve covers are those btw?

I'd carry the flame-ish theme over to the engine bay, just an inch or two. Under that, of course, white.

To me, anything else looks like you didn't tie everything together :shrug: Just MHO.

mansonozz said:
I'd carry the flame-ish theme over to the engine bay, just an inch or two. Under that, of course, white.

To me, anything else looks like you didn't tie everything together :shrug: Just MHO.

I agree. I also agree that painting it black would look to me like you skimped out when you changed the color of your car and assume it used to be black. I hate it when I see nicely done cars and they pop their hood to see that. If you want to set your car apart, I don't think you have any other choice than to carry over the flames and leave the rest white. That would look increadible, and its that kind of attention to detail that scores BIG at shows.

I here you guys on painting the flames inside the engine bay but that is probably out of the question. I don't have the money, plus I would have to trailer the car an hour away to my body guy. Also it is snowing and salt on the road so I would only be willing to use an enclosed trailer. Just not really doable for me I guess. The last issue, I don't have the money. I am sick of being broke. i am looking for a do it yourself deal.

Lets get some more opinions in hear, you guys have to talk me into either white or black by the weekend.

Thanks Guys

If that's the way you want to go, this is what I'd do in your situation:

Do it in white on your own, and then bring it to have the flames done when weather/money allowed.