engine sputtering

87whtecoupe

Jan 28, 2009
Ive driven my 87 2.3 everyday since 05/2008. So far the only big thing that ive changed on it has been the clutch, (its a 5 speed).
But lately its been sputtering and it smokes; black smoke.

When it starts to smoke i rev it up to 3000 to 4000 rpm and the smoke and sputtering stops for a little while, and soon does it all over again.
It doesnt smoke that bad, just a little bit and it smells like gas.

The engine idles at 1500 to 2000 rpm without me touching the accelerator :shrug:.

The previous owner replaced the stock fuel pump with one from a 5.0.
The gas tank and fuel pump where new when i bought the car.

what going on :(

• Sponsors (?)

I can offer some advice first off the 5.0 pump wont be a problem with a return style fuel set up all unneeded fuel goes back to the tank first off check your fuel pressure regulator my engine was doing the same as yours except it was flooding and dying when I left off the throttle and when I would start it in the morning it would idle at 2000 then start sputtering and missing and look black smoke out the tail pipe till it warmed up a bit (fords are weird) I also replaced the plugs, too which helped. Oh yea how to check the regulator pull the vacuum line off the regulator and sniff for gas if you smell gas the regulator is busted, simple. Do the rpms stick when you step on the throttle it could be a simple tps or a messed up idle air control valve and last a broken vacuum line on the throttle body I would not know specifically but that there is my best guess.

I can offer some advice first off the 5.0 pump wont be a problem with a return style fuel set up all unneeded fuel goes back to the tank first off check your fuel pressure regulator my engine was doing the same as yours except it was flooding and dying when I left off the throttle and when I would start it in the morning it would idle at 2000 then start sputtering and missing and look black smoke out the tail pipe till it warmed up a bit (fords are weird) I also replaced the plugs, too which helped. Oh yea how to check the regulator pull the vacuum line off the regulator and sniff for gas if you smell gas the regulator is busted, simple. Do the rpms stick when you step on the throttle it could be a simple tps or a messed up idle air control valve and last a broken vacuum line on the throttle body I would not know specifically but that there is my best guess.

Not that any of that was coherent (punctuation is your friend!), but what he's saying about your FPR should be the first thing to check out. Also, look for a vacuum leak. Check out the vacuum tree mounted on the firewall and trace those to where they go to verify first they are plugged in, and second that they are not cracked. Best of luck to you.:nice:

Punctuation is evil

Yes sir, you are very right no one likes to read a never ending sentence. But I was being very apathetic because I was looking for 2.3 information and I am happy to have found the sticky thread. Thank you all for those who contributed to the accumulation of the data that is there.:D