Enlighten me...and WTH is everyone?

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
Not much V6 action on this board? Where does everyone hang out?

I cant decide if my V6 will get GT fogs, aftermarket fogs, or remain no fogs. A question I would like answered is regarding the GT fog light switch.

As I criuse the various boards I see conflicting information regarding the installation of the switch in non GT Mustangs.

Some people say it never works, some say it works sometimes, some say it works like a charm.

What is it?

Who can weigh in with first hand knowledge and set the record straight?

A 4th option Im thinking about is the GT front bumper and a V6 grill. Knowing that the V6 grill is smaller, it may still look ok. I like the GT front bumper, but cant decide if those fog lights do it for me or not.

• Sponsors (?)

Twofocused said:
Not much V6 action on this board? Where does everyone hang out?

I cant decide if my V6 will get GT fogs, aftermarket fogs, or remain no fogs. A question I would like answered is regarding the GT fog light switch.

As I criuse the various boards I see conflicting information regarding the installation of the switch in non GT Mustangs.

Some people say it never works, some say it works sometimes, some say it works like a charm.

What is it?

Who can weigh in with first hand knowledge and set the record straight?

A 4th option Im thinking about is the GT front bumper and a V6 grill. Knowing that the V6 grill is smaller, it may still look ok. I like the GT front bumper, but cant decide if those fog lights do it for me or not.

I'd say you sound confused :bang: I'm thinking about putting my own fogs too, maybe on the lower bumper and smaller.

it seems most posters on the forums own GTs.
I am glad that they put a special section for the V-6.
As for the fogs, I wanted them orginally but changed my mind, seems like alot of money and time to get them installed. I have been thinking about putting some under my billet grill on the bottom like echo7 mentioned.
As for the GT bumper, I never really noticed the difference when I was next to GTs at a car show I had to have the owner of a GT show me the difference, I was looking in the place. It doesnt bother me. Maybe an aftermarket manufacture will make a nice chin spoiler for our V-6.

I got the foglights months ago. it was real easy no problem with the switch. i definately think its worth it.

705621_31_full.jpg

ok my friend at ford and i have been working on this for awhile.
1. the switch fits and the plugs are the same gt/v6
2. the wiring goes over to the pass side under kick to the smart junction box.
for some reason on my v6 the smart juntion box wont let the signal go threw. we checked with parts guy and the box is same for gt/v6
3. the wireing does go from the smart box to the fuse box under the hood
4. thats were it stops the harness to the front of the car is diff no light wireing.
so i have the ford dvd and all of the wire diagrams. so i know this is true. we have also put a fuse and relay in the fuse box and if we ground the relay it trips and also sends power back to the switch and turns on the led on it. the main prob is the connectors in the fuse box they are new style so we are looking to get some then we can add some wires to the existing harness and that fixes that. this just leaves the smartbox prob and we are still working on that i pulled mine out pertty easy but took awhile. so if you cannot wait for me to figure out this issue there is a other way. you will need a bocsh 20 amp relay a fuse holder 15 amp fuse some splice connectors,wire and allitle time oh yea good tape i use 33 its one of the best. so to start remove the door sill (pulls striaght up carefully) then right kick pops out near firewall then pull toward door strike. ok now you see the smartbox the big plug in the center has the wire from the switch it is a ground and would go to #85 on the relay wire color is orange/lt green test the switch should be ground when you turn it on. ok now the small connector to the right it has the wire that goes back to the led on the switch if you want this feedback hook it up to # 30 on the relay. hook your inline fuse to hot all the time and then to # 87 and 86. the lights hook up to # 30. i hope this helps

yea if you want to just use there switch and wire harnes. i myself wouldnt be caught dead drilling a hole to mount a switch if i didnt have to so i installed the factory one. plus the led lights up when its on to remind me it is on

Twofocused,

It all depends on what driving lamp/product you are looking into buying. I installed a Halogen/PIAA halo kit on my V-6. Used the existing grill. I was considering a lower bumper install, but as soon as the Police around here catch me for no front plate and require me to install it on the front bumper, it would have ruined the look.

I installed on existing grill, ran the wiring harness through the upper door sill and used the products included wiring harness. I hooked into the dash illumination fuse. This way the driving lamps are on as soon as the ignition turns ON past Accessory and remain on, unless I turn the ignition or switch off. The kit has a halo ring in various colors as well as the PIAA driving lamp (little girlie flair). I have temporarily mounted the double button switch above the passanger's heat-A/C vent. I am working on getting it into the glove box since they come on with the dash illumination, I only need to worry about turning them off for some reason while driving.

So far, so good. I cleaned up the wiring with electrical wiring flexible split conduit. Unfortunately, all I had on hand in the garage was blue. LOL... I would have preferred Red or Black.

My avatar shows the end result. I took it to the dealership for some production issue service the other day and had many compliments on the install... :) ("Pretty good for a girl")

Good luck, it is all in what you want the end result to be. My driving lamps work awesome and provide a very good middle road illumination compared to the stock headlights alone.

Jennifer

Jenns05Stang said:
Twofocused,

It all depends on what driving lamp/product you are looking into buying. I installed a Halogen/PIAA halo kit on my V-6. Used the existing grill. I was considering a lower bumper install, but as soon as the Police around here catch me for no front plate and require me to install it on the front bumper, it would have ruined the look.

I installed on existing grill, ran the wiring harness through the upper door sill and used the products included wiring harness. I hooked into the dash illumination fuse. This way the driving lamps are on as soon as the ignition turns ON past Accessory and remain on, unless I turn the ignition or switch off. The kit has a halo ring in various colors as well as the PIAA driving lamp (little girlie flair). I have temporarily mounted the double button switch above the passanger's heat-A/C vent. I am working on getting it into the glove box since they come on with the dash illumination, I only need to worry about turning them off for some reason while driving.

So far, so good. I cleaned up the wiring with electrical wiring flexible split conduit. Unfortunately, all I had on hand in the garage was blue. LOL... I would have preferred Red or Black.

My avatar shows the end result. I took it to the dealership for some production issue service the other day and had many compliments on the install... :) ("Pretty good for a girl")

Good luck, it is all in what you want the end result to be. My driving lamps work awesome and provide a very good middle road illumination compared to the stock headlights alone.

Jennifer
GREAT job, Jenn! GIRL POWER!!

ZenGirl35...

:) We are few and far between. I enjoy modifying the little V-6s. :) My 03 GT was good as it was and didn't feel the need to do much to it...... But, with gas prices and my mom's stroke, I opted for another V-6 this time around. This is my 3rd Stang. I am a little bit addicted to them.

I am planning to install a CAI and get a flash tuner not sure if I will get Sniper, Diablosport's Predator or Superchips yet. Strut Tower Brace (after the dealer installs the new bushings). The Rear Louver is expected to arrive anyday.... :). I just love these "little" Stangs... Weeeee..... fun stuff....

I am fortunate that my dad was a machinist and aerospace engineer and taugh me little tricks of the trade. Made me learn how to use a Haynes or Chilton Manual for car maintenance and repair and instilled in me my absolute addiction to engineering as a hobby!!! He died 8 years ago and I can never thank him enough. I only hope he can see how much he impacted my life...

:) Girl Power! You bet.... I know that when I take my car to get service work performed, they will not take advantage of me, because half the time I have already diagnoised the problem, pulled any TSBs and can tell them exactly what needs to be done to fix it. They HATE me at the dealership..I think they have my picture on a "Know-it-all" wall or something. I am like a really, really cute pitbull.. Hahahahah.... Always very nice though. But factual and to the point.

I bet you are just dying to get the new GT..... You will find it like day-and-night compared to your 04. Hard to believe they could make something good, this much better!

Jenn

I think its AWESOME (and refreshing) to find a girl who knows her stuff about cars and actually enjoys chatting/discussing it. I know just enough to be dangerous, mainly because my baby brother (29) has been a Mustang junkie since he was a little boy. We are constantly in "competition" with our 'stangs. He had a 99 GT and traded it in for an 04 Cobra. I had a 99 GT, traded in for an 04 GT and now ordered my 05 GT. My brother hates the new body style so I doubt we will be in much competition after my new baby arrives.

You know, I've never owned a V6 Stang, but ALL of you guys have beautiful ponies. Regardless of HP, we all drive ponies and that's really what matters!

XOXO
-Shannon

PS - I am debating about adding hood pins (hairpin style from Summit Racing) to my new baby and am thinking of doing it myself. The only thing I've done to my 04 GT is put in a K&N filter (I was so proud of myself for that!).

Im under the impression that guys are useing the factory switch, and its a plug-n-play.

Other guys are saying no way, it will not work.

I would like the factory switch, otherwise Im going with a remote.

I talked with the guy who is selling alot of the v6 to GT fog light conversion kits on eBay, and he told me the following in an email:

"The GT switch is not compatible with the V6 wiring and fuse box. The GT switch is a low power switch that operates a relay that is present in the GT fuse box, that sends full power to the fog lights. The relay and the supporting wiring is not present on the V6. So we go with a custom switch with a lighted LED in it to show when it is on. It can be mounted anywhere on the driver's side of the passenger compartment."

He really seemed like a knowledgable guy, I am under the impression that it won't work, but perhaps there is something you could do to get around it.. No idea!

ok let me say this again. yes the switch is a low power switch that is why i said you need a relay. the wire that you slice into is a ground wire when the switch is on. just for you info. i am 44 years old work in the motion picture industry. i do special effects not the computer stuff the real stuff i work with relays pyrotecnics, hydroics and many other electrical items. so i kinda know what i am talking about. also i am working very close with my friend at the ford dealership that i bought my car. i have known him for 30 years so i also trust him. see earlier post
1. the switch fits and the plugs are the same gt/v6
2. the wiring goes over to the pass side under kick to the smart junction box.
for some reason on my v6 the smart juntion box wont let the signal go threw. we checked with parts guy and the box is same for gt/v6
3. the wireing does go from the smart box to the fuse box under the hood
4. thats were it stops the harness to the front of the car is diff no light wireing.
so i have the ford dvd and all of the wire diagrams. so i know this is true. we have also put a fuse and relay in the fuse box and if we ground the relay it trips and also sends power back to the switch and turns on the led on it. the main prob is the connectors in the fuse box they are new style so we are looking to get some then we can add some wires to the existing harness and that fixes that. this just leaves the smartbox prob and we are still working on that i pulled mine out pertty easy but took awhile. so if you cannot wait for me to figure out this issue there is a other way. you will need a bocsh 20 amp relay a fuse holder 15 amp fuse some splice connectors,wire and allitle time oh yea good tape i use 33 its one of the best. so to start remove the door sill (pulls striaght up carefully) then right kick pops out near firewall then pull toward door strike. ok now you see the smartbox the big plug in the center has the wire from the switch it is a ground and would go to #85 on the relay wire color is orange/lt green test the switch should be ground when you turn it on. ok now the small connector to the right it has the wire that goes back to the led on the switch if you want this feedback hook it up to # 30 on the relay. hook your inline fuse to hot all the time and then to # 87 and 86. the lights hook up to # 30. i hope this helps

my point is that i have already installed the switch on my car, i am not going to install some toggle switch on my car it deserves better.

afixer said:
ok let me say this again. yes the switch is a low power switch that is why i said you need a relay. the wire that you slice into is a ground wire when the switch is on. just for you info. i am 44 years old work in the motion picture industry. i do special effects not the computer stuff the real stuff i work with relays pyrotecnics, hydroics and many other electrical items. so i kinda know what i am talking about. also i am working very close with my friend at the ford dealership that i bought my car. i have known him for 30 years so i also trust him. see earlier post

my point is that i have already installed the switch on my car, i am not going to install some toggle switch on my car it deserves better.

Geez.....I think I need to go cry.......and give my car to someone who will treat it better since I abused it by installing a driving lamp kit with push button on and off switch. :notnice:......

Based on what I have read, yes you know what you are doing. That was just a "not-nice" comment...... I opted for a quick install so as to not screw up and void my new car warranty because I just spliced into a wire that wasn't the right one. I will admit that there are many things I am competent at and comfortable doing, but electrical schematics and wiring is not one of them..... To me it's just a car; it deserves maintenace, polishing and to not have me splice into one of the most complicated and advanced electrical systems I have seen since my father brought home a schematic of the OMS engines on the Space Shuttle......... I will not take the chance. I am competent to install an aftermarket driving lamp set with a relay and an on-off switch. You should be very grateful that you have a buddy who works at Ford and is willing to assist you, many of us do not have that luxary.

Jennifer