Exhaust question

02gtred

Jan 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I just traded in my '96 V6 stang for a new (for me) '02 GT. I absolutly love the car...day and night compared to the Sixer. Here is the deal, I want to put a cat-back system on the car and I am very picky about sound. I want something that is close to the same volume level as stock and highway cruising speed but when jumped on will scream. Any suggestions? Thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

downsouthman1 said:
No exhaust mods will keep it @ the same volume level period. It will always be louder, no matter what you do.

I just want it so that people know I have an exhaust but I dont want the volume that a 40 series flow will make. Most of all, I dont want the highway drone.

Well I only have highway drone @ about 77 or 78 mph w/ 3.27s in 5th. The 4.10s will be in Friday & I don't know where the new drone will be. I got FlowPro Mufflers. I don't know where you can find them besides where I got them. They ain't popular & they don't scream. But they are mildly loud & do have a darn good sound. I'm not just saying that cuz I have them. I will do sound bites in the future & pics.

02gtred said:
I just traded in my '96 V6 stang for a new (for me) '02 GT. I absolutly love the car...day and night compared to the Sixer. Here is the deal, I want to put a cat-back system on the car and I am very picky about sound. I want something that is close to the same volume level as stock and highway cruising speed but when jumped on will scream. Any suggestions? Thanx.

From what you said, I think the Magnaflow (NOT Magnapacks) catback would be a great match to your likings. I ran the stock H-pipe with the Magnaflow catback for a short time and it is a little louder during acceleration, but on the highway it sounds the same. Its a very nice sounding system when you want a little more sound, but nothing that will drive you nuts on the daily commute or on long road trips. You can get a good price on it at http://www.fulllineexhaust.com . They were selling it for around $300 and most people on here have good things to say about their customer service. I didn't get mine there because I found out about them after I ordered :(

nickthegenius said:
From what you said, I think the Magnaflow (NOT Magnapacks) catback would be a great match to your likings. I ran the stock H-pipe with the Magnaflow catback for a short time and it is a little louder during acceleration, but on the highway it sounds the same. Its a very nice sounding system when you want a little more sound, but nothing that will drive you nuts on the daily commute or on long road trips. You can get a good price on it at http://www.fulllineexhaust.com . They were selling it for around $300 and most people on here have good things to say about their customer service. I didn't get mine there because I found out about them after I ordered :(

Sounds great...I will check it out. Thanks a million.

The FRPP system gives you a cruising sound that's a little louder than stock (though much deeper), and a similar volume level at full throttle. No drone either.

Otherwise, I've also heard Borla mufflers/catbacks are quiet when cruising but menacing when opening it up.

nickthegenius said:

Magnaflows. Agreed. :nice:

Magnaflow C/B (not magnapack) with magnaflow x-pipe (not O/R) will do what you want. It's a bit louder than stock at idle and cruise, but not by much. However, it roars when you punch it. And the drone on mine (which is minimal) kicks in between 70-75.

Good Luck :nice: