Fiberglass bumpers?

• Sponsors (?)

I've tried two different fiberglass bumper suppliers and they both sent me the same thing. I'm guessing there is only one mold but I could be wrong. Working with these bumpers isn't easy as they are warped in some places and mounting them requires a little enginuity. Nevertheless they are better than nothing :-/

Here is a pic of the rear bumper:
http://moodster.smugmug.com/gallery/947933/1/43520117

d

Hey Andy! Thanks for the compliments. I'm going to paint the car Viper blue with white stripes. I've been kicking around the idea of silver stripes but a blue/white combo was available on these cars so that color scheme would be more original.

d

The fiberglass "bumper" is nothing more than a skin, and will need to be attached to a reinforcement beam if you want it to provide any protection.

Here's a pic with some metal strips fiberglassed into the back of the bumper. I believe that it came form one our forum members, but I don't remember who.

You can see that the metal strips have bolts attached so it can be fastened to a reinforcement beam of some sort.

Attachments

• fiberglassbumpermount1.jpg
    fiberglassbumpermount1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 272
I got one from Rod&race fiberglass. Seemed to be better quality than another one I purchased from another supplier. I removed my bumpers,split the outer shell from the main part and fiberglassed it to the bumper. After fiberglass was dry I used spray in foam to fill all the voids and make it feel solid. Sorry- no pics of process.

78CobraII said:
The fiberglass "bumper" is nothing more than a skin, and will need to be attached to a reinforcement beam if you want it to provide any protection.

Here's a pic with some metal strips fiberglassed into the back of the bumper. I believe that it came form one our forum members, but I don't remember who.

You can see that the metal strips have bolts attached so it can be fastened to a reinforcement beam of some sort.

Thanks, That's my bumper. Those strips are put in the back to bolt it to the factory bumper beam. The is ths front I did the exact same thing with the rear.

Tim