Fiberglass front end W/ 6inch Ext.

danimaltheanima

Dec 3, 2003
Hey there gentleman! I was trying to look into some info on that fiberglass front end with the 6inch extension on the grill area. If anyone can give me some info on how its worked out for them and how much work they have put into it to make it work with all the stock parts like lights, grill, lower spoiler etc and how well the hood closes down in there I would appreciate it. Any kind of info would help at this point. Even some pics of it done would be great. Thank you for your time.

Dan [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

No hairyglass has an all fiberglass front end and it says it has a 6inch ext. Than I seen a pic of itsamustang2 guys car and he said he didn't use the one from hairyglass he just used a ***** ton of fiberglass. His extends out 2 1/2 inches in the front and it kinda gives it the shelby look up front. Its really neat looking. But on hairyglasses site you can't get a good pic of the front end cuz its all black. I'd like to see a pic of one of them used on a car and talk to somone that did it so I can find out more about it. Thing is I may need a couple of front fenders in which I'm going to want dang there perfect to begin with and I'm going with fiberglass bumpers. So this whole front end thing really cought my eye. Well thanks for your time fella's.

Dan

the front end you are talking about is for race purpose only.its formed as one
piece and has its own grill,bumper and so on molded together. there are no headlight buckets or directional housings to mount your lighting.
and you need to purchase or fabricate your own brackets to have access to your engine because you will need to flip the whole front end forward just to do an oil change or even check fluids..it sounds like you are just looking to extend the header panel a few inches which in 1974 (only) the header panel
was 2 inches wider where your FORD lettering is. try e-bay.

if your just plain stubborn,remember this is a fiberglass piece
durability should not be a factor and fiberglass can be unforgiving to work with..pretty much every fiber piece ive ever worked with has needed major
sculpting because the mold may be an original ford stamping which makes the fiber piece either a little smaller or bigger. and depending on storage temps and age fiberglass has a tendency to warp so you may get a wavy piece.
i doubt you would see a refund after truck freight shipping costs ...:shrug:

Alright thanks for the info. So the 74 header is 2" wider than the one on my 78? If so I suppose I will have to look into finding a 74 header. I like the way I've seen pics of the header coming forward more. It gives it kind of a shelby look. Thank you for your time.

Dan

danimaltheanima said:
Alright thanks for the info. So the 74 header is 2" wider than the one on my 78? If so I suppose I will have to look into finding a 74 header. I like the way I've seen pics of the header coming forward more. It gives it kind of a shelby look. Thank you for your time.

Dan

Dan, the 74 header does not come out and further than the 75-78s. It goes BACK farther. For 75, Ford had to move the rad support forward to make room for the V8. Instead of the hood going straight across the header like 74, the hood now came forward another few inches INTO the header (making it look "thinner" and they moved the grille to the front of the header, instead of having it sunk in like the 74s. The "longer" look is an optical illusion.