Filling the 4.6L cylinders with air...how would you do it?

nickthegenius

Dec 23, 2002
Elwood, IN
When changing valvesprings in a regular OHV engine, getting air in the cylinders is a fairly simple process. The guy that is going to help work on my car brought up a good point. How are we going to get a coupler to work with the plugs buried so deep in the head? Any suggestions? Or should we just bring each piston to TDC and let the valves rest on the top of the piston and forget using air in the cylinders?

:scratch:

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My guess would be to take it down to BDC on the intake stoke then Get it up to BTC so that there is alittle compression to hold the valve up. I would think that resting the valve on the top of the piston would be a lot easyer and more realistic than trying to use pressure. Good luck

I thought the guys who did a cam swap without pulling the heads also replaced their springs, and they found a coupler to plug into the spark plug holes to fill the cylinders with air like you described. I would search for cam swaps and PM the guys who have done it. I know Mustang92 did it, and one or two others have recently done it.

Let us know what the tool is to do it - I'm interested in doing this down the road. Good luck!

I didn't find any info on the coupler, but I did search quite a bit last week and ordered a special 4.6L valvespring tool that is supposed to make the job quite a bit easier. I just got it in the other day. I'm hoping to get everything together to do the swap in a couple weeks or so.

Nick

Well here is what I did: Get a compression tester that has a coupling on it, take the coupling away from the gauge, and connect up your air hose to the piece that is still sticking in the cylinder.

The tool you have just purchased is a decent piece but the rear springs are still a big PITA. Good luck I wouldn't plan on finishing it in one day if you have never been in there before.

Later
Jason