Finally! I am a turboford owner!

realtripp

Mar 1, 2003
Ft. Madison, IA
I completed my swap and got my car running well yesterday.

I have a 1990 stang hatchback with an 85 TC engine. Unfortunately I still have the PC1 computer, E3 manifold, and small VAM. I do have brown tops though :spot: .

The engine is fresh and new so I am afraid to be too hard on it yet, this break in period is annoying. I have 50 miles on it so far.

Questions

What is the proper spark plug gap for these cars? I am set right now at .040 because that is a bit smaller than the NA gap at .044. should I change this.

My timing is set at the bone stock 10 btdc. Could I get more power at 14btdc? My PIP wire to take out is not black as stated in the manuals it is yellow and looks like a small plug right?

The only major problem I have had so far is due to my own stupidity :bang: . On my first trial run the bolt retaining the sprocket on my auxillary shaft spun out and caused me a lot of worry until I found out what it was.

My next projects are a different manifold, computer, and large VAM.

Already I am much happier with this than an NA stang. Plus the turbo whine is rocking. I do wish it would spool faster though.

I wish to thank all of the people who posted information on this site about the swap. Your knowledge was invaluable.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrat's on getting it running! Now you need to close the gap to .034 The pip/spout wire is a plug dangling from the tfi plug. I would just leave it til you get everything broke in before looking for more power. After that you should do the E6, LA3, big vam and 3"exhaust and there will be no more spooling issue's and you will hear alot more of that turbo with the exhaust done.....

Don't be afraid to run at least 13-14psi through it before you get too many more miles on it...the most critical time for ring seating is the first 20 minutes of run time. IMO yours is already broke in.

Get a 3" exhaust, K&N, and a gillis and your spool will be at least 500rpm sooner...probably closer to 800rpm.

i am finishing up the painting process and am gettin ready to put mine in the '93. the only thing that has me worried is the wiring. i am just really worried that the cutting and splicing is going to kill me. I am having hal aka (FKNBADFKR) helping me and carlos and kevin(local turbo 2.3ers) i just always think something bad is going to happen. this is just my way. stinger how much would u charge if i sent u both wiring harnesses and u spliced them for me?? lol

yeah, i'm liking my svo more and more. I have a n extra ric gillis stage 2 adj. boost valve. its new. i bought one for a friend that already has one. they are $89 new plus tx and shipping. i'll ship it to you for $90.