focus AC compressor

blackink00

I missed a shift & stole Curt's money.
Mar 30, 2005
Tempe, AZ
got a new compressor for my focus and now i need to know what to do to put it on and what i need. like what to do with the refridgerent thats under pressure and all that. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you're willing to a garage with the appropriate vacuum system that's able to remove the coolant, you're going to have to release it into the atmosphere (which you're technically not supposed to do), swap it over, then have it refilled.

for the R134a in there, you will have to take it to a shop and have them recover it. should be .3 hours labor. then when the part is installed, take it back and have them evacuate and recharge the A/C system. should charge you 1.4 hours for that. take it to a bodyshop, as their labor rates for mechanical labor is usually MUCH cheaper than a dealer or other mechanic.

if you just release the R134a into the atmosphere, you will have to have the shop recharge the system, and buy the R134a from them as well. its much cheaper to have them recycle it. plus, its bad for the environment to release it into the atmosphere.

its oem to oem. heres my situation. im in uti right now and just started my climate control class today. itll be a week or so till i get to use the gauges and stuff but i will be able to evac and all that crap within the next 2 weeks. i need the car for the wife though. if i release it into the atmosphere (hypothetically of course) then i could slap the new one on and drive it with no refrigerent in it till i get to school to put some in. as long as i dont put it on AC. what would i have to crack open to release the refridgerent (hypothetically).

To drain the system, I believe it’s the Schrader valve on the high side that needs to be depressed in order to relieve the system. The problem is, is that the new compressor doesn't come pre-filled with oil. There may be oil in it, but that’s for storage purposes only. The compressor oil itself is added just before the refrigerant is, since the unit itself requires special oil specifically designed to lubricate and resist moisture. Leaving it exposed to the atmosphere for any length of time reduces its effectiveness. You can’t just add the oil, screw on the lines and be done with it since you have to pull vacuum afterwards to ensure the moisture has been removed.

What exactly is it that's wrong with your old compressor? Is it ceased up, or it it just making noise. I say if you can get away with it, run it until you're ready to change over the unit and replace the refrigerant.

well what happened was that is was makeing a real bad nosie like when a bearing is going out. i just ran it till it died. which was today. while driving i started smelling burning then all this smoke came out and it finally took a dump. the new unit says it come with oil in it. 7oz. so how would i depress this valve without get nasty stuff on me. thanks also brian. BTW do you still have tom's t-fitting?

there is no good way to depress the valve and not get it all over you.

HERE IS WHAT I RECOMMEND: ask an instructor to help you out and recover all the R134a that is in there. it wont take much of their time. since you are in school, they should have a good A/C system that is pretty quick. many machines can recover in less than 5 minutes total.

this way, you dont harm the environment, dont make a mess, save a few bucks by not purchasing new R134a, etc.

i would also ask the instructor to pull vaccumm on the system as soon as you are done. this should protect from moisture. you are also going to have a problem if the wife uses the climate controls. if she uses defrost, the A/C compressor will kick in. bad news if the compressor is not charged with R134a and PAG oil.

you should just have the instructor walk you through the entire process, so you dont damage anything. like i said, only a few minutes to recover, and once you set it up to vaccumm/recharge, you push a button or two and pull vaccumm for a while. then you have a lilttle time to wait. the instructor can go back and read his emails if he wants. when that is done, check for leaks, and recharge. recharge should only take a few minutes. total time the instructor NEEDS to help is about 10 minutes.

you are also going to have a problem if the wife uses the climate controls. if she uses defrost, the A/C compressor will kick in. bad news if the compressor is not charged with R134a and PAG oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong here big cat, but if memory serves, the compressor shouldn't kick in at all without the system being pressurized, should it? The compressor idler pulley should just spin freely without the clutch engaged....as long as theirs oil within the system to keep it lubricated, I don't see there being an issue....at least for short term use? :shrug:

But I agree.....getting it all done at once would certainly be the best option.

Correct me if I'm wrong here big cat, but if memory serves, the compressor shouldn't kick in at all without the system being pressurized, should it? The compressor idler pulley should just spin freely without the clutch engaged....as long as theirs oil within the system to keep it lubricated, I don't see there being an issue....at least for short term use? :shrug:

But I agree.....getting it all done at once would certainly be the best option.

stranger things have happened. i have seen some get destroyed without being pressurized, simply by running the defrost as it was moved around in the shop for a few days. it SHOULD not happen, but can.

also, you never know how much oil is really in the unit. talk to your instructors, as they should know more about it than me. im just a bodyman. :p