Focus won't start

fordkid

May 28, 2007
Hey guys, My 2002 focus won't start, at first I was thinking it was the battery, when I tried to start it would get nothing, the radio would come on but as soon as I turned the key forward to start it everything would go dead, the I turn the key all the way back and turn it forward again and the radio would come on again and so forth, also the blinkers were blinking extreemly fast. I check the battery cells andthey were dry, so I filled them up and tried to jump start the car. with the jumper cables hooked up the blinker worked at normal speed. and when I try to start it it clicks. so my question is, do some of these newer cars have a way of not letting you jump start the car. or am I just not getting anough juice to it. I was jumping it with my 92 bronco. the battery in that is rated 720 cold cranking amps. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ford Kid

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes when a battery goes completely dead, you can't even get 'em to jump-start. Being that yours has run so dry that the plates were left exposed, even putting water (or acid) back in there and jumping it won't do the trick. In fact, some of 'em put such a load on the alternator that it gags the car into running crappy, doing weird things, or just stalling out completely - it causes it to try so friggin' hard to pour a charge into the battery that it's just too much of a strain to bear.

When batteries go completely dead like that, especially on newer cars, I've seen them do all kinds of wacky things. Digital dash displays will start to read really weird stuff, accessories will cut off and on randomly or work haphazardly, things like that. Soon as a new battery's dropped in there, all the weird problems vanish.

In short, you need a new battery.

You **might** be able to get one last go out of the thing by dropping an aspirin (not Tylenol :D ) into each cell and letting it stew for awhile. Some kind of old ghetto mechanic's trick I heard about a long time back, that supposedly would get you just enough juice in a pinch to get started and get home. Otherwise, it's safe to say that sucker's fried and way past due for recycling.

Thanks, I was hoping it was that but the lights acting funny and the not being able to jump start it had me confused, I got a new battery and it starts right up.

Thanks
Ford Kid