Found SVO being parted!

• Sponsors (?)

That guy in WA seems to specialize in parting out SVOs. He must think they're a gold mine because of the low production numbers. Too bad there will be fewer to put back together with him using healthy patients as organ donors.

I saw one on ebay yesterday that is at risk of the same fate. It is missing only the engine and trans and the description mentions it could be restored *or* a good parts car. If Jersey was closer I'd go look at it. :(

well i would side with you guys but a few months ago i sold aperfect shape red 86 SVO. It had 60,000 iles and ran like new drove like new and felt like new. i did it on Ebay and it sold for a whopping 5500 bux. This was a 8000+ car easy. I have never seen an SVO feel as good an solid as this one did. The Buyer...he got it to part out. Told me he would make more off the car in parts then he payed. The main reason is those who realy want an SVO cant afford the entire nice car but can afford a junked wore out SVO and afford to fix it one part at a time. Sad yes that i have changed my view but i can say in all honesty i will part mine out and any other i will buy in the future. Hate me i dont care but i will never lose my ass on a car sale that noone could afford....................Hal

i did a reserve and the car went for it...i just needed the space since i building a Cobra Coupe (2.8 ACRA head powered) but the fact that that crappy SVOs sell faster and that this was a top of the line car just means everyone that wants to "save them" is dreaming or would rather buy the parts to fix a junk car..I will never say WOW the SVO is worth a ton more but the fact is they are worth more in parts...the buyer admitted he bid upto 7500 for it becouse he was sure he could get that back out of it....and i will do the same next time or when i goto sell my 84 SVO but mine is a diff story not much stock and not many peeps want a wide body,IRS rear,style SVO...........Hal

You brought up some tough points, but I still don't agree with parting one out, good condition or bad, just to make a buck. Hardly different from a chop shop, right?

I guess that's what sets enthusiasts apart from the rest. They would rather have the car than the money. They don't do what they do with the prospects of making a profit in the end, they do it for pure enjoyment.

Id love to say i was an enthusiest but truth be told im only in this SVO becouse i couldnt fab my Merkur to fit my needs and this car was 500 bux..lol...I do enjoy driving it hard and love how it can be made to handle (took alot of fab work and time but was worth it)..and i realy liked the 86 SVO i sold...I didnt want to sell it but had no choice it was the 86 or mine and i could never get a price worth while on mine..we have 8 cars in my driveway as of now (not all mine) and i only control 2..lol.I was just disapointed at how alot of guys say theyed like a nice SVO and when the cars come up for sale noone is here to buy...i made my money on the car i just didnt think about stripping it to make a real profit...the SVO i drive now is a dif story ill strip it becouse noone can afford what i have in it and since most want a drag car not one that turns and stops........Hal

Some really good points in this thread. This is exactly the description of how this goes.

It applies to all hobby cars. Correct, most of us cannot afford a nice one, but can fix one a part at a time. I went that route with my 5.0 toy. When I started 8 years ago, wadded up 5.0 cars were $2500, runners much more. So I started with a $50 shell. Now it's a fairly decent, carbed, 13 sec bracket car. Full circle though. If I had bought in to a decent 5.0, by now I would have thrown away most of the parts that made it a 5.0, so I am now ahead just getting the aftermarket stuff I wanted anyway.

It has always been risky to sell a modified car. Even on Barret Jackson, some cars that cost 1-300k to build, sell for 60 to 70k.

Same for my Turbo coupes, both were for sale for over a month, and the second guy actually lowered his price to me, because I had just not got around to looking at it.

The 87 is a nice car, or was and could be, but I doubt anyone would spend the time and money to fix it.

It does just come down to money in the end, and how much someone is willing to pay for whatever.

Wish I had bought that 58 Corvette for $800, or the 66 Chevelle and GTO I found for $400.....And not sold my 65 Mustang for $400....

And if you think its bad with SVO's, how about people that buy $20,000 Model A's just to build a "real steel" hotrod....

rd said:
Wish I had bought that 58 Corvette for $800, or the 66 Chevelle and GTO I found for $400.....And not sold my 65 Mustang for $400....

And if you think its bad with SVO's, how about people that buy $20,000 Model A's just to build a "real steel" hotrod....

My father makes the same comments. If only he still had the '57 and 58 Corvettes, the '69 427/4spd Mach 1, the '67 Mustang GT 390/4spd fastback, the $2500 289 Cobra he passed up in favor of that GT, the '69 and 71 Stingrays, the mid '70s 911 Carrera, numerous late '50s Fords and Chevies, I could go on. He compiled a list of vehicles he's owned since the mid'-60s and it was well over 100 and he figured the present value was something over $1,000,000. Hindsight is always perfect I guess.

hell i only had one car worth money it was a 69 superbird my father still has.. but id rather have my 96 3000GT VR4 (modded with alot of HKS crap) i traded in like a retard on a 96 Z28 6spd and my Merkur Cussy clone i sold to a friend for 700 bux..i had about 1500 in gauges alone not to mention the cossy body kit,large disc brakes,and suspension parts it had.................Hal

What I'm reading in this thread is just another reason why I want to keep and never sell my 2001 Mustang GT and my 2002 V6 Mustang. Both are 5 speed manuals and the GT only has 2,4xx original miles on it. I have a little 1 1/2 year old boy and I want him to have both of these cars.

RED2001GT said:
What I'm reading in this thread is just another reason why I want to keep and never sell my 2001 Mustang GT and my 2002 V6 Mustang. Both are 5 speed manuals and the GT only has 2,4xx original miles on it. I have a little 1 1/2 year old boy and I want him to have both of these cars.

I'm right there with you. I have my '06 Mustang GT 5 spd and I'm not trading it in.... Got a 2 year old and a 4 mo. old.... they'll be driving it to Prom. I'm looking into SVO's now.....

-JD-