Fox body v-6?

Sims6986

Feb 26, 2004
Indy
Is the fox body v-6 essentially the same as the 95-98 v-6? I'm buying a 4 cylinder mustang and plan on building a boosted v-6 motor to put in there, (i already have a gt). Does anyone know? Thanks fors any info guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I heard of the 80's six bangers existing, but don't know much about them. You should clarify what you want to know. As far as body, well it's a 80's Mustang, and to the best of my knowledge the platform wasn't chagned much these last 20+ years.
FYI the sn95 sixers had an open 7.5" rear, and a T-5 in them.

Ghostalker said:
I am also pretty sure there were 6s in the foxes... although very very few... i would like to see one...

There were two sixes in foxes. The 3.3(200ci) inline 6 that was in Mustangs since '65 lasted into the early 80's. Then there's the 3.8 V6.

Pretty sure the block is the same as the current 3.8/9, but everything else is different.

What kind of blower are planning on using? Centrifugal or roots? I would think a Supercoupe roots blower would be easier to cram into a fox engine bay. Might need to run a cowl induction hood though. :shrug:

I own a 1986 with a V-6, its a 3.8. I dont think they even compare to the newer motors in terms of HP, unless it is modded somehow. The only thing I dont like about it, is that it uses a carboreurated (sp?) throttle body stock. I plan on changing that later though.

actually i'm thinking of going with a turbo for boost. unless i can have a BOV with a blower setup then i would go that route. The only reason i'm asking if the newer 3.8's were the same is so i could steal the fuel injection system. Any ideas guys?

luxpony said:
I own a 1986 with a V-6, its a 3.8. I dont think they even compare to the newer motors in terms of HP, unless it is modded somehow. The only thing I dont like about it, is that it uses a carboreurated (sp?) throttle body stock. I plan on changing that later though.

120hp and 205lb-ft at only 1600rpm. They have less hp and torque just because they are CFI instead of MFI. But changing the fuel system will involve alot more than just the fuel rails and adding 4 injectors. New intake manifold, different injector rating (lower pressure system), TB. The best bet, I think would be a a complete swap. And then deciding whether you want the engine from a 94-98 or the 99+ with the returnless system.

I want to do that swap at some point with a 4-eyed Fox.

Carlos

If you're going through the wiring nightmare to get a late model fuel system, I would try to use the 99+ components, with aftermarket heads.
And since you're planning on boosting it, starting off with a Supercoupe/XR7 or '94+ Mustang block might be good idea. They're cast thicker than the blocks used in the 80's.

Can i go carbureted with a supercoupe blower? I would rather have a carb because i can tune it. So i could actually just swap in a supercoupe motor?
Carlos: I'm actually changing the front end to an 84 :D. The car is a 90. ANy other suggestions?

svtcobra R said:
Can i go carbureted with a supercoupe blower? I would rather have a carb because i can tune it. So i could actually just swap in a supercoupe motor?

Can't use a carb with the supercoupe blower.
What I was saying is use a supercoupe or 94+ Mustang block since you're going to be using forced induction. An 80's bottom end might not be able to take it, depending on how much boost and what your CR is.

Swapping in a S/C motor would be just as involved as swapping in a 99+ fuel system.

svtcobra R said:
Could i use a vortech, and stay carbed?

I'm sure you could. I've never seen a kit for a carbed 3.8. Of course, I've never looked either. But if it doesn't exist, this will have to be a custom setup. Once again, another headache, but it can be done. Your main issues would be mounting the s/c, getting the piping for it, and finding a bonnet or full enclosure that will fit. I think newer Jeeps use a bonnet alot of Fordsix.com guys have been using on their carbed forced induction setups. Paxton also makes a supercharger kit for classic Mustangs that uses a full enclosure.

Here's some interesting reading about mocking up a custom s/c kit.http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/02/supercharger/index.php

i really want a blower setup with a blowoff valve. So i'll probably go supercharged. My dad is an R & D machinist so we can mill, bend, lathe or laser the brackets and other stuff we'll need. Which blower do you guys suggest? I'm planning on around 15psi for track duty, and 11 psi on the street. It should be plenty to surprise some of the gt's around here :D .