fox mustang becoming a collector car.

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I was reading a article in my new modified mustangs on the 79-93 mustang become collectable now. I read that the cycle on later modles is around 15-20 years of age then it starts to kick in, then depends on model, mileage, etc.

In the article they mention a 1992 lx notch with 10,000 miles sold for $16,500, it was a blck on black car. the car stickered for $15grand new. they define a collector car has one that costs more than the original sticker price.well I think all know that some model foxes are going to collectable and fetch money and low mileage regular models will to. no brainer on the R's.

here is want worries me, the rich boys..you know the ones that go to barrett jackson and chip foose those to much money guys. lets say they start getting bored playing with the 70's stuff, you know like they did with all the 1900's, 50-60's. they get siick of playing with superbirds and camaros,they want restomods, super muscle cars now but soon could they be setting thier sites on the late models...................

now I know the fox will up go in value in time and alot of us say the mustang hasn't really gotten there yet save for a few models, but hell I remember in the early 80's when you could buy a big block ss chevelle for $5,000 :eek: no way in hell you can now. when these rich collectors went nuts they drove the price thru the roof and restorers raided the yards for them, or they buy cars and strip them of thier parts or make a resto mod, parts are impossible to find and the whole thing is nuts.

now just image in the future this happening (all in theory of course but not out there) to the fox mustang and even the late model gm's. resto parts going up in price, parts cars you see for free or $600 you wont find because people will hold onto them or yards will stock pile them, yards will be out looking for cars to but to stock pile, chip fooses will be doing the same. they will be scooping up cars left and right to fill customer orders, they go get what ever is the next hot big dollar thing for the time. In the begining it will be easy pickings, they will scoop up the pristine examples first until they suck those up they wont bother with the 2nd rate stuff, they will leave that for us.

It wouldn't happen right away but what would you think it would do guys like us? the aftermarket for the mustang is huge and there are so many foxes do you think it would be has dramatic like it is with the 70's muscle? what would be your opinion if a huge craze happend and you where pushed out of your beloved mustang due to prices of parts and cars becoming scarce because of this?

I doubt this would ever happen but lets get some feeling on the issue.

me personally even though we can't stop it, i hope it never gets has far as it did. I think it was crazy stupid. the builders where scooping up everything, buying up cars and parts and killing the hobby for the little guy trying to keep his old chevelle going and wanting to bring it to local shows. all this to make some rich a** wipe happy and fill his garage with new toys, this went beyond regular limited stock models. I'm talking resto mods or super muscle cars which any car will do. it's fine that a 93 cobra, cobra r , 79 pace , t-top etc you know what I mean, becomes collectable, it's the restomod, supermuscle car thing where they use anything, make it look like a R model but better, that's what stripping the earth of the classics.

• Sponsors (?)

im sure at some point they will begin being a collectible the that guys with money go after. two reasons, first the generation that grew up with them, wishing they could have them is coming to the age where they have money to play with. that means these guys are going to buy up the car they always wanted when they are 10, i know im looking now, although i dont want one that is perfect. that, and look at the background of the car, the fox probably has a bigger following than any other single car built, i can think of another car that has the magazine coverage that the fox has begun.

it cycles around. people hit middle age and want the car they had or dreamed of in high school. now that they are well established they have the disposable income to make that happen. When this happens vehicles sell for more than their book value b/c it becomes a buyers market.
Clean foxes and even 3rd gen f-bodies that are original, are already selling for more than what their original sticker was .

They might gain interest in coming years but will never get that hype like the Cuda's, Superbirds, Camaros and rods simply because the numbers. There were just way to many foxes built to be drawing insane dollars at Barret Jackson. The Cobra R and some other models maybe..........maybe.

I agree, there are so many foxes out there. Even if you cant find a 5.0, there is always that 4 cyl. to 5.0 conversion. I do enjoy the here and now of the five liters.
Just when you thought there was only so much you can do to a fox, turbo kits began becoming plentiful and easy to install. Also people started putting 18's on their foxes. Cheap packages too. Its great to own a fox. There is always something you can do.
Look at the 03-04 Machs. They are awesome cars, but there is only so much you can do performance wise, without rebuilding the block for high boost. Im just saying any weekend you can get a kit or part for a fox and have some fun modding your car. This is not meant to bash Mach's, even the owners know those cars are almost factory perfect.

I see plenty of race car foxes, or repainted semi ok foxes, but how many mint untouched foxes are there? How many properly built foxes are there especialy when you talk about the coupe?

How many will go after the original 5L 5 speed coupe cars like a 55 chevy?

Sure there are replacement lamps, but how many will want the set that has the ford oval on them?

Over time, the cheaply restored and the original equip restored may seperate in value. This may take another 10 years to happen, but it will happen.

This is a buyers market for modified foxes because people sell out of a 30 thousand invested car for 12-15. Owners control the market and they choose to sell low, it hurts the market. If people say shoot you can't touch a clean notch for under 15, then they expect to pay for it, like a late model Impala SS.

I see cars that have way more than mine selling for less than I would dream of letting it go for and I can only think to myself, what a moron.

i hope this means more of an new, classic/ original aftermarket.
like same styled taillights but with a today brightness and glow.

id love to see more for the fox.. it cant be the affordible car forever.

but after foxes what are we gonna do?