Fuel Pump Eccentric

funnelcake

Jul 10, 2011
OK - been awhile since I ripped in to any hot rod stuff (fine, in this case awhile = 20-years...so I'm old.) & I've either forgotten or never knew enough about mechanical fuel pumps. Disclaimer aside, I'm using a late ('93 to be exact) low-mileage 5.0 HO engine as a transplant for the 64.5 Project. Plan is to use the old school v-belt stuff, so early timing cover & water pump, etc.

Regarding the fuel pump eccentric, I bought this:

Comp Cams #249-235
Fuel Pump Eccentric Kit
SB-Ford 289, 302 and 351ci Carbureted

but think it's a 2-pc. eccentric & I've also seen one 1-pc parts. Which part is right w/ stock roller cam, timing chain, stock type fuel pump, and early timing cover? I've got some books on the way to (hopefully) help with the installation how-to so will wait on that.

Thanks...Funnel

• Sponsors (?)

That's just it, you're mixing old (TC) with new (cam/gears). My stock 289 with original TC, gears, cam, etc. used the one piece eccentric. I *think* the later 302's used a 2pc. but don't remember what year they changed.

The difference I was shown was in the cam gear center, where the eccentric sits against it. One year cam gear is thicker in this area and the other is thinner so you have to use the eccentric that matches up with the cam gear/cover. If you put the thicker gear with the 2pc? eccentric and early model TC it will rub the back of the TC and grind a hole in it. See if the books you get verify that but I know that mixing the wrong combination will result in contact with the backside of the TC.

Jon

Funnel,
Do you have the timing cover off yet? One of the easiest ways to tell which eccentric you need is to look at what is currently installed on the front of your cam gear. With the engine you describe, it will likely have a stamped steel oil slinger that looks like this:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/835309-what.html

on the front of your cam gear. If the slinger has a little tab that fits into a hole in the cam gear, to locate it, then you need the 2-piece eccentric. If there is a small (1/4" or so) dowel sticking out of the front of the cam gear (after bolt and slinger is removed) then you need a 1-piece. Contrary to what you would assume, the 2-piece eccentric is actually shorter/more shallow than the 1-piece. You likely already know that you can't use the vibration damper and/or flywheel/flex-plate from your original engine due to the difference between 50 ounce and 28 ounce imbalance issues? Not to mention, that your 64.5 bell housing has a different bolt pattern than your 93 engine? I would use this balancer:

Professional Products 80007 - Professional Products PowerForce Harmonic Dampers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

as it has both 4-bolt & 3-bolt pulley patterns as well as provisions for both "inny" & "outy" style crank pulleys. More details (manual vs automatic trans) are needed to help with your flywheel and bell housing compatibilities. Personally, I would install a new timing chain and gear set (with 3 or 9 crankshaft key ways for possible future cam timing adjustments) while it is this far apart. At least a new stock set. Just make sure the timing set is properly provisioned for the eccentric you are using. Let us know, and we can give you part numbers.:D Mix and match of front components on these engines can be confusing, but there are a couple of "right" ways to do it, as long as you have the correct prior info.
HTH,
Gene

Thanks much guys. Makes sense. I haven't pulled the timing cover, but the engine is on a stand & waterpump has been removed so I should get a chance to take a look this weekend. Any idea where I can get the 2-pc eccentric? All I can find are the 1-pc parts.

Regarding the other stuff - think I've got most of it covered. Using a T5 w/ late model bellhousing, cable clutch setup, etc. I believe that balancer is the part I'm looking at - hoping at least one of the sets of timing marks will work with the stock pointer.

Funnel

What timing cover are you going to use and does it have a cast-on pointer or a bolt on? Which timing marks you use will depend on whether your water pump/radiator combo is for a driver side or passenger side lower radiator hose. While it's apart and on the stand, I would get a degree wheel:

COMP Cams 4790 - COMP Cams Sportsman Degree Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

and a piston stop:

Crane Cams 99412-1 - Crane Piston Stop Tools - Overview - SummitRacing.com

and learn how to use them (real easy) to find your true Top Dead Center and note how it relates to your damper/pointer combo. Here is a very cool and informative read:

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/803.pdf

By the way, I thought you posted the you already bought the fuel pump eccentric? If not:

COMP Cams 235 - COMP Cams Engine Finishing Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Knowledge is key to understanding.:nice:
Have Fun & Be Safe,
Gene

Gene - thanks again. I'm using a timing cover from a 289. I was going to use the required parts from the original 260 but decided to keep all the original stuff intact.

I did buy the kit noted above, but posted before opening. An inattentive fellow must have filled the parts bag because nothing even remotely resembling an eccentric is present. Also, addl. parts missing with too many of others. Weird, that or someone bought, used some of the parts & returned.

Anyway, assuming I need a 2-pc and can get a complete kit, does the Comp 235 kit have the right eccentric?

Will definitely look into degreeing.

Thanks again...Funnel

Funnel,
You asked:
"Anyway, assuming I need a 2-pc and can get a complete kit, does the Comp 235 kit have the right eccentric?"
From the pic and description, it sure seems to. Sounds like a call to the vendor you purchased from is in order. They should send a new kit for free, with all shipping (even for return of deficient kit) on their dime!
Gene

OK - called vendor & they're sending a call tag via email & will ship out a replacement once they receive the return. I did talk to one of their tech folks and got confirmation it's a 2-pc. I'll yank the existing timing cover this weekend.

Thanks again...Funnel