big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
My friend Jon e-mailed me this story....:
jbaker said:
FTR -

I've been meaning to tell you this. You and your Stangnet
buddies may get a kick out of this one:

A couple of weeks ago, I had my Ferrari out in the driveway
with the top down when the neighbor across the street came over.
I saw her eyeballing the car for quite some time. She
eventually came to the door to pick up her daughter who was
playing with Devon. She says to me "I didn't know the Mustang
came as a cabriolet". I said "My car? It's a Ferrari". She
says "Yes, the Mustang... I didn't know that Mustangs came as a
cabriolet..."
I was kind of puzzled at the exchange of words. I tried to be
clearer. I said "THAT car? The blue one? That's a Ferrari."

She says "It's a Mustang, isn't it? It has all those horse
emblems on it."

I explained that Mustang AND Ferrari both have horse emblems.
Ferrari's is called a Cavallino Ramparte, I think. (AKA the
"Dancing Donkey", as a joke). I also explained that "cabriolet"
is just a fancy French word for "convertible", so technically,
Mustangs do come as cabriolets.

"Oh, OK".

I never had my car mistaken for a Mustang before. Too funny.

- JB
All I could say was...:rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

That's pretty funny. I had an Italian girlfriend long ago. We were watching a movie and there was a yellow 67 Mustang Convertible. Her sister said, "wow, look at that beautiful Ferrari". We explained that it was actually a Mustang, and that I had that exact same car, same color even. She didn't believe us and said we didn't know what we were talking about.

Some people just don't have a clue, 2 conversations i recall. Had a young teeneger ask me one time , "Is that a 56 model" and another guy "Who did the custom work for the rear glass and body". "That would be a 65 model young fellow" and "Ford did the work, it's a fastback design....."

I took my '68 fastback (before I built it into a Shelby clone) down to the GM dealer to get some parts for my Suburban, and the parts guy asked me, "is that a real fastback?" I didn't know what to say, so I bit my tongue and with as straight a face as I could, siad "yes". I really wanted to ask him if he'd seen many "fake" fastbacks driving around, but I didn't.
Another favorite of mine happened on a fairly regular basis. Several years ago, my only transportation was a '30 Model A pickup hot rod. It had a 289/4 speed, 5-spoke Americans and lots of fun to drive. I lived in Phoenix, Az at the time and there were lots of neat cars used as daily drivers. My pickup used to get lots of compliments, which is always nice, and seemed to attract lots of people with tales of their old car. They al were pretty much the same, "I used to have one EXACTLY like that! Yep, EXACTLY...except mine was a chevy...and it was a coupe...and it was all stock...and painted green. But other than that, they were EXACTLY alike!"

I had a girl say I love your Corvette, confused i said "Oh yeah, well its actually a Mustang." She kinds ignored me and said i like that one also as she pointed to a Chevelle convertible. Come to find out what she was trying to say was convertible but Corvette must have been on the mind. :shrug:

I had my 68 coupe running in the driveway doing some tune up work and this kid (17-18) walks by and asks, is that a 351 in that, I tell him no it's an inline 6 cylinder :rlaugh: He says wow it sounds just like a 351, yea right! Guess he felt like a fool and didn't know what to say so that stupid comment came out:lol: