FYI: "no start" problem with '99s only

denialdave

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2002
North of Seattle
Just so you 99 Cobra guys know, there is a bulletin on a possible “no start” problem.

Since I spent 600+ bucks trying to fix the problem, I thought I would pass this on. Hope you all don't already know this!

Presently there is a ground stud (steel) that goes into the aluminum block. For some reason this stud corrodes to a point where you can intermittently loose ground, causing the car to not start.

Being the cheap biotch I am, I first pulled all the grounds I could find (except that one, of course) and cleaned them, then went on to put in a new starter, then a new neutral safety switch.

Anyway, none of that fixed the problem and when I called the SVT dealer they said they have heard of the problem from the factory, and have a new “replacement” stud.

Even though they knew what I had already done, and also had the advisory, they raped me to the tune of $335 to pull the stud and replace it. They also couldn’t come up with the defective part when I asked for it—but that’s another story…

So keep this in mind if you guys (and gals) run into this type of electrical problem! Like I said, it started as an intermittent problem, then ended up where the car would not start unless I pushed it (jumping the battery didn’t help).

• Sponsors (?)