gas caps

TwoStangWmn

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2001
Spokane, Wa
I had a 74 Mustang I had ordered from the factory and kept for 10 years. I just recently acquired a 76 coupe.

I was remembering back then when the newer models came out that I saw the silver gas caps on like the 75 or 76's and on up. But when I look at pictures, I see they have the color caps the same as the exterior color. I know I wasn't seeing things. Didn't the newer models have the silver gas caps?

vicki

• Sponsors (?)

The OEM standard caps were all painted body color. Steel caps were used on 74 through 77, and 78s had a plastic cap.

There was an accessory cap offered by Ford that was plated, however, it was not the same style as the OE cap. It was more of a domed or beehive style, with a lock cylinder in the center. Aftermarket chrome caps with a black crossbar were and are very common on these cars.

I guess I should add "based on my experience and research".

Every 78 I have had in my posession had the plastic painted cap. All were original paint cars, except 1.

My '77 had the steel cap when I bought it in 80. Many of the 74-77s I've been through had the steel painted cap. Several had various forms of aftermarket caps. One had the OE accessory beehive cap.

All photos/brochures/original cars I've seen have had painted caps.

But, like anything II, Ford liked to throw whatever they had at 'em, and I could be wrong.

Do you have additional insight on this? Never too old to learn, I figure.

THE COBRAMAN said:
I guess I should add "based on my experience and research".

Every 78 I have had in my posession had the plastic painted cap. All were original paint cars, except 1.

My '77 had the steel cap when I bought it in 80. Many of the 74-77s I've been through had the steel painted cap. Several had various forms of aftermarket caps. One had the OE accessory beehive cap.

All photos/brochures/original cars I've seen have had painted caps.

But, like anything II, Ford liked to throw whatever they had at 'em, and I could be wrong.

Do you have additional insight on this? Never too old to learn, I figure.

I am just asking because I have never had a II with a painted metal cap, they were always plastic, regardless of the year. Of course that means nothing other than what I've seen; never had a reason to question it till now.

Brian, two things... 1- did you see my new acquisition? I posted about it last week here. And 2 - can you check the list of parts I need in the parts section, and let me know if you have anything? Thanks!