Gears

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by MGSTANG, Dec 3, 2003.

1. MGSTANG

MGSTANG Founding Member

What gears do I want on my 2002 v6 automatic? 3.73's or 4.10's. If 4.10's, don't you lose a lot of top end? Or peg your rev a lot faster. (Keep in mind that I'm spraying, I don't know if that makes a difference). I am also gonna be going with the Diable Delta Stage 3 flip chip.
  2. GREENBIOCH

GREENBIOCH Founding Member

If you have an Auto, Go with the 4.10's. If your spraying, It should not make a difference as long as you get the speedo recal'd. Just make sure you get that chip/recal, otherwise spraying won't be fun. You don't lose top end, at least good luck hitting top end on the track or city driving for that fact. You will rev a lot quicker as well. But if your gonna gear it do it right and get 4.10's with the auto, if you had a manual you would do best with 3.73's.
  3. MGSTANG

MGSTANG Founding Member

I don't mean you lose top end, I mean if I'm getting 99 mph now, I probably won't get that mph with 4.10's, but my 60' would be a lot better. 4.10's make your acceleration quicker, but harder to get high top speeds?
  4. 1kwik6

1kwik6 Founding Member

Don't fear the gear. Go with 4.10's. I had 3.73's in my 7.5". My 8.8" came with the 4.10's, and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. :flag:
  5. Double T

Double T New Member

I have an 02 v6 w/auto and I was thinking of swapping the 3.27 gears to 3.73s.
    The car is my daily driver and I do a lot of city driving my mpg is between 16-18.5 So I dont want it to drop to much lower than that and thats why im hesitent of switching to the 3.73s, because of losing my MPG
  6. MustangMuscleV8

MustangMuscleV8 New Member

yes it will hurt your top end, if you try to top out your car.
  7. decoy562

decoy562 New Member

4.10's for NA
    3.73's for Blown
  8. kylew5

kylew5 New Member

With new installation does the whining that the gears make eventually go away once you break them in a little better?

Also, what is the best way to get a speedo on 99+ recalibrated without using something like a diablo chip or any other type chip?
  9. AP1995V6

AP1995V6 New Member

If the gears are whining, they may have been put in wrong, not calibrated correctly, whatever.
  10. atlblue2000

atlblue2000 Founding Member

Well, if you have a 5 spd, then you can get a speedo recalibrator, but for close to half the price of a chip, I'd just give Justin @ VMP a shout. He'll take good care of ya. :nice:
  11. kylew5

kylew5 New Member

99+ stangs don't have speedo gears from what i understand. i've just read the people have a little bit a whining in the rear end after a rear end swap and it subtly dies off as you break them in. thats mainly what i was wondering about. i'm goin to RPM Outlet within the next week or so to get a Delta Chip burned and installed to catch up with the other mods i have.