Guidance on replacing Shaker 500 headunit

Big McLargeHuge

Apr 8, 2006
Hi all. I have an 06 GT with the Shaker 500, and have been thinking about replacing the headunit with something aftermarket (I'm thinking maybe Pioneer AVIC-F90BT or something similar), and I have a few questions before diving in.

1. I'm pretty technical, but have never done a car stereo installation myself. How difficult is this? I'm just a little hesitant to do it myself, since I don't want to damage the car.

2. Crutchfield now recommends using the PAC Ford radio replace interface (PAC 127C2R0FRD1). Does this eliminate the need for the Radio Shack voltage regulator? It seems like this interface makes the wiring a lot simpler.

3. How difficult is it to run the wiring for the GPS antenna, BT microphone and ipod interface cable? I imagine it's pretty easy to run the ipod cable into the center console, but I have no idea about the GPS antenna and the microphone.

4. Finally, does anyone have any experience with Crutchfield's installcard service? I'm not sure how to find a reputable professional installer near me, and I'd rather break something doing it myself than have a pro installer break it for me:)

Thanks for the advice!

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced my head unit with a pioneer unit from Crutchfield. If your mechanically/electrically inclined it's no big deal. I have the Shaker 1000 in my car. I added on the bluetooth and ipod connections. Pretty straight forward.

If your getting the F90bt, the add on equipment is simple and straight forward. The blue tooth module is internal on there, and you have to mount the microphone. The ipod interface cable is now equipped with USB interface for the controls so operation on the touch screen is just like working on the ipod itself and has composite Audio and video cables for the sound and video feed. All encompassed in one simple cable.

As for the GPS and Satellite antennas, they are power and ground plus the reception cable. It really can't be any simpler these days.

As for the PAC harness, I haven't used it. I do have one in my daily driver truck and it works perfect on an AvicZ 1 with the z3 upgraded drives and maps. No popping or anyting reported like our cars.

For my install I ran all new amplifiers for a full install and recabled all of the door and deck speakers. So I didn't have to mess with any of the voltage regulation. However, I've done it for numerous others and it's about 5 minutes worth of work.

You sound like you got a good head on your shoulders, you can tackle this fairly easily.

Use a Metra install kit, seems the scosche is a tad off. They also offer the wiring harnes for fairly cheap.

Few pics of my media items below:

Microphone:

View attachment 269023

Located my GPS and Sirius antennas in right corner of windshield as my window tint is reflective and blocks all reception. No choice for me on this. You might consider the rear window as a primary option. I'll be relocating inside pillar trim to see how reception is there.

View attachment 269024

Located the sirius receiver box here along side the radio, real nice fit and is in the way of nothing.

View attachment 269025

Shot of the ipod interface/controls

View attachment 269026

I brought the Ipod cable down the center of the car with the oem loom that travels the passenger side of the console and mounted the ipod in on the acces panel plate.

View attachment 269027

I'm not familiar with the PAC thing you're referring to, but installation with the standard harness and voltage regulator is very straight forward. Just follow the TacoBill write-up. If you have any technical knowledge at all, you will be fine. Running the wiring is straight forward as well.

Pioneer is a good choice. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine!

If your getting the F90bt, the add on equipment is simple and straight forward. The blue tooth module is internal on there, and you have to mount the microphone. The ipod interface cable is now equipped with USB interface for the controls so operation on the touch screen is just like working on the ipod itself and has composite Audio and video cables for the sound and video feed. All encompassed in one simple cable.

As for the GPS and Satellite antennas, they are power and ground plus the reception cable. It really can't be any simpler these days.

As for the PAC harness, I haven't used it. I do have one in my daily driver truck and it works perfect on an AvicZ 1 with the z3 upgraded drives and maps. No popping or anyting reported like our cars.

For my install I ran all new amplifiers for a full install and recabled all of the door and deck speakers. So I didn't have to mess with any of the voltage regulation. However, I've done it for numerous others and it's about 5 minutes worth of work.

You sound like you got a good head on your shoulders, you can tackle this fairly easily.

Use a Metra install kit, seems the scosche is a tad off. They also offer the wiring harnes for fairly cheap.

Few pics of my media items below:

Microphone:

View attachment 269001

Located my GPS and Sirius antennas in right corner of windshield as my window tint is reflective and blocks all reception. No choice for me on this. You might consider the rear window as a primary option. I'll be relocating inside pillar trim to see how reception is there.

View attachment 269002

Located the sirius receiver box here along side the radio, real nice fit and is in the way of nothing.

View attachment 269003

Shot of the ipod interface/controls

View attachment 269004

I brought the Ipod cable down the center of the car with the oem loom that travels the passenger side of the console and mounted the ipod in on the acces panel plate.

View attachment 269005
How hard is it to run the cables for the microphone and GPS antenna? Are there instructions anywhere? Thanks for the info!

Hi all. I have an 06 GT with the Shaker 500, and have been thinking about replacing the headunit with something aftermarket (I'm thinking maybe Pioneer AVIC-F90BT or something similar), and I have a few questions before diving in.

1. I'm pretty technical, but have never done a car stereo installation myself. How difficult is this? I'm just a little hesitant to do it myself, since I don't want to damage the car.

2. Crutchfield now recommends using the PAC Ford radio replace interface (PAC 127C2R0FRD1). Does this eliminate the need for the Radio Shack voltage regulator? It seems like this interface makes the wiring a lot simpler.

3. How difficult is it to run the wiring for the GPS antenna, BT microphone and ipod interface cable? I imagine it's pretty easy to run the ipod cable into the center console, but I have no idea about the GPS antenna and the microphone.

4. Finally, does anyone have any experience with Crutchfield's installcard service? I'm not sure how to find a reputable professional installer near me, and I'd rather break something doing it myself than have a pro installer break it for me:)

Thanks for the advice!

1. It was Easy. I have a DDX512 Kenwood, and I love it. Bluetooth, and Ipod controls. Getting XM/Sirrius soon. Note:I suck at electrical stuff.

2. Yep I used that kit, and it was plug and play. That is what made it so easy. You can find it cheaper than what crutch has it listed for. My local radio shop got it for me for around 45$.

3. The Mic was easy. I ran it thru and past the A-piller, under the front band and out by the viser on the driver side. You can barely see it.

4. No

Thanks for all the great info. One last question. Does the F90BT/F900BT require the VSS cable to be connected, and if so, how do I do this? I've done some research on this, and the install manual says it is recommended, but I can't find any specific info regarding the 06 Mustang. Thanks!

No navigation headunit requires the VSS wire to be connected. The GPS antenna transmits a signal to the satellite which in turns sends one back so it tracks your movement. The point of VSS is that if you lose signal that it can calculate your position as per your current speed.

As far as the VSS's location. It's the top plug for the PCM. Make sure the car is off and the battery is unplugged. Remove the top plug and use a wire tap to tap into the Blue with Yellow Strip wire. Easy.