head problems with 03/04 cobra?

venom97

Apr 29, 2003
Illinois
a friend of mine has an 03 cobra and it just blew the number 5 spark plug out while he was driving yesterday. i wasnt with him when it happened so im not sure if he was getting on it or not when it happened. he called the dealership and they said they ve never heard of this on mustangs but have seen the problem on f 150s and 250s. he bought new plugs and now the new one he says wont thread in? any one hear of this? i thought i heard about a recall on those heads,not sure the reason for it but some what remember them having an issue.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes this has happened on quite a few 01-04 2V heads. In addition to the 03/04 Cobra head, there is also a newer head casting for late 04's that has more spark plug threads(9 I think) verse the 4. This will help resolve that.

just an update on this. ford has agreed to helicoil the spark plug,and pay for half the labor. they said if that wasnt good enough then they just wont help him at all. he is going to go ahead with this but affraid that its just going to do it again.they did agree with him that it is a common problem with the 4.6 and 5.4 heads before they said they were going to help. just for any one that might be or might end up going through this.