Headlight Restoration Project "How To" with pics

• Sponsors (?)

to add to all the accolades -- THANKS MAN! I was planning on buying new lenses!

This should also work for the rear taillight in the center of the trunk - mine's got FINGERPRINTS - anyone know how that happened?? and it's also starting to warp - so it'll get replaced eventually. :(

9646gt said:
Does this work well on 94-98 cars or is that more on the inside of the light due to bad seals? I have heard you can take a dremel to the insides and polish them really well then reseal with 3M window weld for good results but I dont know about taking my lights apart and all...

I used the rubbing compound on mine (98 GT Vert) and it made a huge difference, but still left a bit to be desired. I think the sanding steps should be in order for the next time I try it and I feel confident that it'll work just fine! Great, awesome post, kudos for all the information and pics.

My vote says this posting deserves a "STICKY"!!! :hail2:

zincyellow03 said:
This should be made into a sticky.

That's what a few people said about my speaker write-ups. you see that happend.

However great write up. I've noticed that Ford put a very fine coating over my headlights that has begun to wear out bad. I was looking at a finishing kit in Advance Auto, but this looks a helluva lot cheaper.

I just performed this on my passenger side headlight, which looked just like your "before" shot... After a little elbow grease and the use of a drill and some buffing pads and the coumpounds you suggested, it looks pretty much like new with the lights off during the day... at night it looks a little hazy, but it matches the other head light which is now a year old (accident) and it looks MUCH better.

jenn*jenn said:
to add to all the accolades -- THANKS MAN! I was planning on buying new lenses!

This should also work for the rear taillight in the center of the trunk - mine's got FINGERPRINTS - anyone know how that happened?? and it's also starting to warp - so it'll get replaced eventually. :(

Same problem with my stang... its almost as if you open the trunk with some kind of oil or whatever on your hand and it bakes in the sun... bingo, fingerprints. I haven't found any way to get rid of them other than to replace the whole dang thing.