Help! A4LD valve body bolt length problem.

I have a 93 hatchback with a 2.3L and the A4LD auto. A while back my son called needing it towed. The car would die as soon as it was put in gear. After getting it home, I jacked up the back and tried again. It still died, so I revved it a bit and dropped it in gear. The wheels turned as long as I didn't let it drop to idle. After checking around on the net, I decided the most likely cause was that the TCC solenoid was stuck, causing it to be perpetually in OD. I bought new solenoids and of course, had to drop the valve body the remove them. At the time, I didn't realize or notice that there are several different bolt lengths, so I didn't note which lengths came out of which holes. I subsequently obtained a manual which give the bolt lengths and locations. The problem is that I am supposed to have 19 40mm bolts and only 1 35mm bolt, along with 5 45mm and 1 30mm. What I have is 17 40mm and 3 35mm bolts. Since these bolts are impossible to find, it's likely it came that way from the factory. maybe the assembler in France had one glass of wine too many at lunch. The problem is that I don't know which of the holes that require the 40mm bolts had the 35mm bolts. Moreover, from a functional and reliability standpoint, where should I put them? Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you AeroCoupe. However, that page is from the manual I used to determine that I have two bolts that are the wrong length. Since I have no way to get the correct length bolts, and they were obviously already in the trans, I need to know which spots will be safest to put two bolts that are 5mm short.

I'm no tranny tech but looking at the valvebody diagram , I would put the two shorter bolts in the center and make sure to have a longer bolt on each side.I
Disclaimer: I'm just an old fart with a lot of Yankee enginuity. Get her done.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, that was my thought too. Find two spots with a cluster of longer bolts around each. However, there are plenty of shops around here, some specializing in transmissions. I'm not sure how receptive they'll be to DIYers soliciting free advice, but it's worth seeing if they have a source for bolts.

Thanks General karthief, but that won't be a problem. I would be putting 35mm bolts is the spots where 40mm were specked. I stopped by the shop where I get work done on the family car. They said for finding something like those bolts, they go to the dealer, so I called the nearest Ford dealer. They said the bolts are no longer available and suggested a salvage yard. I called All Fords Auto Salvage and the number is no longer working so they may be out of business. Since it's a reasonably warm weekend, I may ride the bike by there to see. If I don't find anything, Monday I will jack up the car and install it with the short bolts and hope for the best. I'm crossing my fingers that the TCC solenoid was the cause of the stalling problem.

Got the valve body put back in. Found two good spots for the short bolts. The 40mm detent spring bolt was too long to seat, even though it's called for in the manual, so I put one 35mm there. The original TCC solenoid had a bracket attached to it that was held down by a 40mm bolt. The newer solenoids no longer have that, so I put the other one there. Unfortunately, this did not solve the stalling problem. After torquing all the valve body and reverse servo bolts to spec, along with a new filter and pan gasket, I put in 3, then 4, then 5 quarts of Dextron III. It still needs more, as it's slow to shift, but it still stalls as soon as it shifts into gear. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone has an answer to this.