Help!! Car Won't Start

mbob

Jan 27, 2004
I've been having this problem for awhile now. My car ('95 V6) will start just fine after sitting for awhile but if I start it and then shut it off and then try starting it again it doesnt do anything. No clicking or attempts to turn over. But if I wait an hour or so it will start up just fine. I've replaced the battery and negative battery cable which have done nothing. I thought maybe you guys would have an idea as to whats wrong before I just keep throwing parts at it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

mbob said:
I've been having this problem for awhile now. My car ('95 V6) will start just fine after sitting for awhile but if I start it and then shut it off and then try starting it again it doesnt do anything. No clicking or attempts to turn over. But if I wait an hour or so it will start up just fine. I've replaced the battery and negative battery cable which have done nothing. I thought maybe you guys would have an idea as to whats wrong before I just keep throwing parts at it.

Thanks
you have a bad ignition lock cylinder. my car did the same thing. the pass key is not able to be read by the computer because you ignition lock is bad or has a bad wire to it. only a ford garage can do the work for you and program a new set of keys for the new ignition lock

I think someone here or over at 3.8mustang said that would happen when his cats were clogged and it wouldn't restart until they cooled down. So maybe that is something you might want to get checked out.

I don't think that's the problem because it wont even turn over or engage the starter, but I'll look into it.

maybe your connections are bad... or a bad altenator

I was thinking maybe a bad connection somewhere, but I wouldn't think that letting it sit without touching it would fix one. :shrug: The alternator charges good and theres plenty of juice. I can sit in it listening to my radio while I wait for the starter to work again and after awhile it starts up.

you have a bad ignition lock cylinder. my car did the same thing. the pass key is not able to be read by the computer because you ignition lock is bad or has a bad wire to it. only a ford garage can do the work for you and program a new set of keys for the new ignition lock

I actually thought this was the problem because my ignition lock cylinder has been screwed up since I bought the car, although mine is just a normal one without any electronics in the keys. I replaced it for about 10 bucks and it made no change. :(

I'm thinking it's either the ignition switch or the solenoid/starter. I think I'll replace them in that order and see what happens unless anybody has any other ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :flag:

your car should have a pass key. i may be wrong but i believe all 94 and up mustangs had pass keys. i know my keys don`t look like they would have a chip in them but they do. take the car to a ford garage and see what they say. and if you just replaced the lock cylinder it won`t work because you can`t reprogram the keys only ford can