HELP!!! i need all the input i can get..

rw98gt

Jun 26, 2006
peabody, ma
here is my delema, i have a 98gt w/aode with some modds. i am currently getting ready to install pi heads & intake w/comp cams XE270AH & comp cams valve springs PN26113. i am having the heads ported, i am trying to match the article i read FILLING THE GLASS in 5.0 mag. from my august issue. i am worried about my transmition, i have read on some of these forums that a lot of you guys have built trannies. i need as much input as possible (how much $$, what company to go with, what parts to use or look for) to help me make my choise on what to do. if i play my cards right i'm hopping to run about 450hp to 500hp from the setup. i know that i should build up the block because 450hp is pushing it to the max, but it will have to wait till i get the extra $$ to do so. with some conservative tunning i hope to keep it between 400 - 450hp. i know that you guys are saying that i may be optomistic but from what i read this setup w/out the supercharger this combo dynoed in at just over 400hp and 390 lb-ft of torque on a basically stock motor. with the supercharger (vortech) it belted out 648hp and 545 lb-ft of torque. not to shabby.. the supercharger that i am running is a very cheap one (powerdyne) but it still works so this is how i am estamating my #'s. so please give me all the input positive or negative to help me out. thanks, ron

• Sponsors (?)

the compression goes from 9.3:1 to 10.6:1 thats a big difference and a lot more hp then factor in the cams & on top of that a supercharger. how can you not see this there is much power to be had from this. maybe you should research it before calling me crazy...

the compression goes from 9.3:1 to 10.6:1 thats a big difference and a lot more hp then factor in the cams & on top of that a supercharger. how can you not see this there is much power to be had from this. maybe you should research it before calling me crazy...

maybe you should do a little more research..........high compression is not good for a s/c. we dont discuss flywheel HP here very often, we go by what the car acttually puts to the ground. if you want to talk flywheel hp my car made 450 at the flywheel on its last dyno, but that also means it only made 375 to the wheels.

so basically you are saying you want to put 320 rwhp down, right??? you should be able to do that with cams and a tiny s/c

With the mods you listed you will be around 300 RWHP (that’s about 350 at the crank). Trust us, you will not see close to 400 without a super charger. People have more mods then you listed and are just a tick over 300 at the wheels.

i posted this because i would like to know what to do to my tranny and any and all other input good or bad. the artical that i read was done on an engine dyno maybe i should of stated that i know that these #'s won't bo to the wheels but i do know w/out building the bolck it will handle 400 - 450 hp i think that is measured in crank hp isn't it ,not to the wheels or you are right BOOM!
i'm not looking for that to happen i also know that high compression on a stock block isn't the best thing but w/my LITTLE 6lb. supercharger i'm sure it won't blow up. as long as i tune it properly. so i'm not some kid who thinks you bolt on a throttle body you gain 20hp on a stock motor i have some knowledge of how some things work. i just have to be more specific with what i'm looking to do. sorry for the confusion..

i had replaced a rear seal in the trans last year, i thought it was from the slight power increase i know that its putting just over 300torque to the wheels, i had it dynoed (not thats a lot ) but shortly after i put the supercharger in then this happened. so i have been thinking that the tranny would not hold up. if this is the case i will install a shift kit with a trans cooler.

One thing you need to realize is that Magazine numbers are always higher than what we will get at the crank or the wheels. They will pick up 20rwhp with an intake where everyone else will gain 5rwhp. The numbers are inflated because companies pay to have their product “tested” and the Magazine is going to make sure that they make power with that product.

Are you talking with or without a blower?

Well without a blower with ported heads and cams and PI intake depending on what other bolt-ons you have 280-290rwhp. Hotmustang had full exhaust, every bolt-on imaginable and heads and cams and was only making a little over 300 if I remember right through a 5spd. Yes you‘ll have higher compression but that advantage goes away with your auto.

For my transmission I did a full rebuild, clutches, bands, shift kit, ect. I’m not exactly sure of everything they did but I know they said it would be good for 1000hp. I also did a HD tranny cooler and PI stall.

My trans was going out on me so I figured might as well just upgrade everything. The trans was 100% bone stock before this.