Help in getting a Sound System in 05 V6

enalborno

Apr 9, 2005
I'm trying to get a Kicker L7 subwoofer hooked up to an amp at about 700Watts but I wanted to know if anyone knows if the v6 can handle that much more power coming from the battery. I've heard that the previous generation cars had to get an upgraded alternator to get that exra power from the battery. I was wondering if the new car had the same problem or not. I was going to get the shaker 1000 but this way If i do it the way I wanna do it I can get a much better system for 1/3 the price of the shaker 1000. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey thanks for the info guys. Like to hear more info on the capacitator. What does it do and how would it help. I'm lookin to maybe even getting two L7's or two L5's from Kicker so this system should be pretty good but I really would like to know how much this car can really handle without having to have problems with the battery. I'm hoping to get a total of 1400 Watts running into two subs and its in a ported box so it's gonna be ridiculously loud because that box is gonna make it so loud. All this for a mere $400-500. Anyway thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated

I've got 2 500 watt amps, each powers a 10 inch subwoofer, I need a capacator, because after a while of playing it loud, the base dies out, and I get the lights dimming each time the base hits.

enalborno said:
Hey thanks for the info guys. Like to hear more info on the capacitator. What does it do and how would it help. I'm lookin to maybe even getting two L7's or two L5's from Kicker so this system should be pretty good but I really would like to know how much this car can really handle without having to have problems with the battery. I'm hoping to get a total of 1400 Watts running into two subs and its in a ported box so it's gonna be ridiculously loud because that box is gonna make it so loud. All this for a mere $400-500. Anyway thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated

Basically, a capacitor is a storage cell. It draws power from the battery slowly and stores it for the times when the amp needs surges of power, such as deep bass hits. If you've ever had a high power amp in your car running a sub without one, you've undoubtedly noticed the lights dimming during bass hits. Basically, the amp is drawing power away from the other accessories by stressing the battery. The capacitor helps alleviate that by storing the energy slowly, so that you don't affect the function of other electrical items, and providing it to the amp when a little extra is needed.

By the way, I am 99.9% sure about this, so take it as you will.

JOE

i havent noticed anything

as far as battery trouble goes w/ the system in my car. but of course its only about 500 watts. i really didnt want something that would make my whole block rattle. i have some touchy neighbors. but no complaints here. i bought an optima yellow top for a lil bit of insurance though. its a pretty decent battery. hopefully i lended a bit of a helping hand. im kinda new at the whole mobile a/v thing. hope it turns out good for u and your ears.

drjoe302 said:
Basically, a capacitor is a storage cell. It draws power from the battery slowly and stores it for the times when the amp needs surges of power, such as deep bass hits. If you've ever had a high power amp in your car running a sub without one, you've undoubtedly noticed the lights dimming during bass hits. Basically, the amp is drawing power away from the other accessories by stressing the battery. The capacitor helps alleviate that by storing the energy slowly, so that you don't affect the function of other electrical items, and providing it to the amp when a little extra is needed.

By the way, I am 99.9% sure about this, so take it as you will.

JOE

So if I hook up a capacitor do I have to worry about using up all the juice in it on the way somewhere and then in turn it drains my battery while I'm in the mall or someplace? And when I first hook it up, how long do I have to run my car to fill it up???
Just as a reference I'm putting a 10" AudioBahm Excursion sub in the drunk and using a 400 RMS/750 peek Alpine amp to power it.

i think a capacitor takes like a split second to fill up, lol, pretty small, but i don't know about the ones used on big subs, i only have a 250 amp and never invested in one, not worth it.

IM getting xm radio put in my new stang. but I need a new head unit think about the pioneer. O&A are back on channel 202. O&A party Rock!!!

Attachments

• 6981322_sa.jpg
    6981322_sa.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 108
I have 2 JL15w6s in a sealed box being pushed by a JL 1000/1 amp. For a short time I had an additional 500 watt amp in to test the load for later when I upgrade the speakers. Also powering an Alpine CDA-9833 straight off the battery. While Ive got some major headlight dimming going on, no problems yet after about 1800 miles. Only had the 500 watt in for approx 1000 of those, then took it out since it was useless.

The info for the capacitor is correct, and you shouldnt have to worry about it draining the battery. It draws and stores so little energy the alternator will take care of everything in between. Personally, I might look into a bigger alternator before a capacitor.. that way it severs more purpose than just powering your boom box :)

You have to CHARGE a capistor, and they give you instructions and resistors to do it when you buy it. It will not drain the battery as long as you don't leave the amp on while the car is off. If you have a load on the CAP and the car is off, the CAP will drian the battery trying to keep itself charged. But when the car is OFF everything else BETTER BE TOO!

I have about 1200w+ in my car, with a 1 Farad Cap I have VERY little dimming. Since I changed to a JL sub, I don't have any dimming. (JL takes less power then my old HX2)

I would scrap the kicker and get a JL, take less power to make as much if not more sound. Plus you can beat on a JL and they hold up. I have 800w running over a 8ohm load bridged to a DVC JL 12W6v2 which is only rated at 400w and no problems at ALL!

BTW, Tweeter is a good shop. I had a friends car audio specialty store install my last system and I melted my fuse distribution box in my trunk, but it was not their fault. Don't blame the installer...its usally not them.

~K