Help needed (weird noise) :)

Folly77

Jun 10, 2005
Virginia
hi guys. whenever I steer left (down a winding road for example) I hear this groaning sound in the right wheel area. I don't hear it when I steer right. It sounds like metal's rubbing.

When the new tires/wheels were put on I asked the guys to check under there and they didn't see anything wrong.

Any guesses for what the problem might be?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Wheel bearing if it's in front, axle bearing if it's in the rear.

Classic symptom for that. You can isolate which side it is by using that winding road to determine which way turning makes it groan. The weight mostly transfers to the one side and puts more load on the bearings on that side.

Lots of times people service the front outer bearings only, leaving the inners to dry out and self destruct, which can in extreme cases cause the rotor assembly to sieze to the spindle.

Thanks guys! I talked to my brother (he's a mechanic) and he thinks it's the bearings too, but when he's over he's going to check to make sure. I've done some research on how to replace the bearings and after talking to him I think I will try to do this myself (with him assisting LOL).

btw, do you guys recommend I do both sides even if the other side seems okay?

Thanks for your help!

Folly77 said:
Thanks guys! I talked to my brother (he's a mechanic) and he thinks it's the bearings too, but when he's over he's going to check to make sure. I've done some research on how to replace the bearings and after talking to him I think I will try to do this myself (with him assisting LOL).

Thanks for your help!

If it's the front it will be easy to do.

If it the rear wheel bearing it's not so easy. The bearing is pressed onto the axle.:flag: