help, paintjob screwed up!

Arkham

Dec 17, 2004
Saturday I had to go to the car wash and get a bunch of salt taken off my car. When I get home I notice a bunch of black marks from the spinning things that actualy clean my car. :bang:

So, i try washing them off, they don't come off. I try a bit harder, nothing.

So my soon to be father in law hands me a bottle of scratch remover, and tells me to try that. It worked! The black marks were removed!

But now when i look at it from an angle, i see all these swirls in the hood where i was rubbing! Its like the clearcoat was weakened by this stuff or something. Its not highly visible, but i know its there and its going to bug the shat out of me now. What can I do to get rid of this?

[edit] I also put some turtle wax on the areas and let it dry. That didnt seem to do anything either. :(

• Sponsors (?)

never use those automated driven-in car cleaners those are the worst thing you can do to your car, go to a pro and let then have it detailed for you,, get a polish/wax it should be better

Dont use a carwash at all!

Mcquires makes a medium cut paint cleaner (#9 i think). Use with a machine to get the swirl marks out (like a porter cable random orbital, not one of the cheap ones from wal mart). Then use Mc's #2 (ithink) polish and swirl remover. Then wax. That will fix your swirl marks.

help, paintjob screwed up! Reply to Thread

SVTFreak said:
Dont use a carwash at all!

Mcquires makes a medium cut paint cleaner (#9 i think). Use with a machine to get the swirl marks out (like a porter cable random orbital, not one of the cheap ones from wal mart). Then use Mc's #2 (ithink) polish and swirl remover. Then wax. That will fix your swirl marks.

Also, you might want to try their Scratch-X product with a low speed buffer. That hasworked for me in the past on my black cars.

shallowreef said:
what about the ones where they don't use those roller things and spinning rags. I mean like the ones that only use high powered water?

I’m not sure what you mean, I guess you mean the car washes which are done manually, using high pressured water (soap) and then manually the employees dry it by hand,, those are good. Basically stay away from automated car washes