help wiring stereo

ZenMasta

Jan 2, 2009
Hello, I just bought a new head unit and a wiring harness from ebay. In the past this has all been totally straight because I never had any amps and stuff like that.

So I'm wiring up the harness that came with the head unit to a harness I bought on ebay that would plug right into my factory mach 460.

The wiring diagram for the head unit says this

Blue - the manual labels a Remote Turn-On
Black (check)
Red (check)
Yellow (check)

Gray - Right Front (check)
Purple - Right Rear (check)
White - Left Front (check)
Green - Left Rear (check)

The harness I bought on ebay is actually 2 pieces (looks just like this Ford Receiver Wire Harness - Additional images and video)

So here's where I'm confused. All of the wires from the dual harness except the Blue one are connected

Ebay Harness
Black (check)
Red (check)
Yellow (check)

Gray - Right Front (check)
Purple - Right Rear (check)
White - Left Front (check)
Green - Left Rear (check)

Orange pair labeled as Dash Light Illumination and Dimmer Ground
Black /w stripe labeled as Amp Ground

Then the second smaller harness has
Black pair - Amp Ground
Blue Pair - Amp Ground
RCA Yellow/Red

Well the Dual HU has 3 RCA jacks on the back
Dual XHD7714 - Rear RCA jacks

labeled as
Front
Rear
Subwoofer

I don't know what I'm supposed to plug the RCA jacks into... Subwoofer?
I have no idea if the mach 460 has one I do know it has amps and I assume that because the Dual HU has a built in amp that is why there are no Amp wires on their harness.... but I thought the speakers were on the "otherside" of the factory amps, so even though I connected the wires to the speakers it still goes through the factory amp right?

• Sponsors (?)

Plug the rca's into either the front or rear outputs of the deck. If you plug them into the sub output, the deck is most likely internally crossed over, meaning you will loose a band of frequencies. Just make sure that the set you use has the crossover turned off as the mach amps have built in cross overs. Also, i believe at least one of the blue wires on the second harness is an amp turn on.

I've never had a car with amps and stuff before so I'm not sure what you mean by cross over (except to assume maybe wires were reversed). When you refer to "set" do you mean stereo head unit? If so then I'll have to check the manual or call Dual tech support to see how to turn off cross over(hopefully this is supported).

I tried plugging the RCA into the different jacks last night and I didn't notice anything different with it being plugged into any of them vs not being plugged in at all.

Or are you suggesting I have to put the red in the white etc.

On the second harness I mistyped the labeling...

Then the second smaller harness has
Black pair - Amp Ground
Blue Pair - Amp Turn On (
RCA Yellow/Red

And when I said pair I meant as in two, but I just noticed that all four black/blue wires have a white stripe

So both black/white wires say Amp Ground
and both Blue/white wires say Amp Turn On

So you are right it is amp turn on, however my Dual harness does only has one unused wire which Dual labeled as Remote Turn On... Are you suggesting that I wire this to one of the blue/white wires (Amp Turn On) on my second harness?

Thanks

Cross overs are frequency filters that may be built into head units, amps, etc.. In car audio they are usually high pass (blocks bass), or low pass (blocks highs). By set, I was refering to a pair of the RCA outputs. Yes, connect both blue/ white wires on the cars second harness to the decks 1 blue white. Tie the amp grounds in with the ground on the first harness. Then plug the rca's in and see if you notice a difference between connected/ disconnected.

Ohhh snap dude, thanks a lot. Everything sounds sick. I've been tired of listening to the same 6 cd's and radio stations. Now I have HD Radio, Bluetooth, usb/ipod or 3.5mm aux :SNSign: