Help with removing the Mach system

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ok guys I have seen the posts on here about how to install an aftermarket headunit with the Mach still entacted, but I am wondering if anyone has detailed instructions on how to remove the Mach system entirely and how to properly rewire it using an aftermarket amplifer and new speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated since the stereo shop I go to and trust told me that I could be looking at $200 to remove it, rewire the car, and install the new amplifer :jaw:. Oh and I have a 2002 Mustang. I know 99-04 are the same but they use the Mach name for all Mustangs so I figure I'd better specify.

• Sponsors (?)

its not at all that hard to do. when you put in and wire in the new head unit there are two blue wires one solid and the other with a stripe if i remember correctly you have to ground it out for it to work. i will check mine and make sure and get back to you on that. i didnt rewire my car. that part about the blue acts as the mach system amp delete it turns them off you have like 3 amps in the car. if your just wanting to upgrade speaker you dont have to rewire door speakers or the ones in the back window just change the speakers out. and far as putting subs in and a bigger amp for the subs just need rca's, remote wire to turn it off when the radio comes on and off with, power and ground wires and speaker wire to amp to subs. easy man dont sweat it. ill check my car and get back to you on the blue wire trick its been awhile since i did mine. but if your going all out audio rewire the whole car.

If you are going to replace the factory speaker and run them off an aftermarket amp you are going to have to run all new speaker wires as well as battery power rca's remote turn on and also ground somewhere on the body. My advise is if you aren't very well versed in car audio as far as removing panels and running wires pay them to do it if the break a panel or something the will replace it if you break a panel you will either one buy a new panel which could be expensive depending on the panel or live with it being broke

If you are going to replace the factory speaker and run them off an aftermarket amp you are going to have to run all new speaker wires as well as battery power rca's remote turn on and also ground somewhere on the body. My advise is if you aren't very well versed in car audio as far as removing panels and running wires pay them to do it if the break a panel or something the will replace it if you break a panel you will either one buy a new panel which could be expensive depending on the panel or live with it being broke

Ok so I should just run new speaker wire from my amp to all 4 speakers in the car. I am not new to stereo stuff and I put dynamat in my entire car so pulling door panels, etc doesn't bother me. Thanks for the help.

I'd recommend using the existing wiring, and just bypassing the amps, all of the hard work is already done by ford (running the wires). Just solder onto the factory wires and run them to your amp. This is what I did, and it saves a LOT of headache. Why not use the factory stuff, its already there and runs where you need it to?... Oh, yeah, you should just have the two amps in the trunk, in '01 Ford used the head unit to power the tweeters instead of a seaperate amp.

i was doin some fiddling with my radio today and that wire that i talked about is blue with a white stripe and you need to attach it to the red power wire if your leaving the factory amps in. if you dont do that you will not have any sound. thats how mine is wired up and that what i was shown by a buddy of mine that does this for a living. im running all 3 stock amps and a aftermarket amp for a sub with aftermarket head unit and mid speakers. thats the easy way.

On my Metra harness which actually is 2 harnesses. The speaker wires from the wiring harness just go straight into the factory wiring harness. Deleting or keeping the factory amps isn't going to be an issue with sound. The head unit is still gonna send a signal to the speakers. Hes getting a new head unit anyway and will of course have to get the Metra wiring harness.

Josh