Here is a 99 Cobra I MIGHT trade for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

UDTBadkarma said:
Well i wanted some constructive criticism but DAMN LOL
Does ANYONE like hte car?! lol

What do you all own mint cars? Geeze

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: hey you wanted opinions on it and your getting them, some good and some bad :p . I think the problem here is the fact that the car has some issues that need to be fixed and no numbers have been discussed to show how good of a deal the car could be. If the price falls to what would be considered a great deal (meaning somewhere well under the book value) then it would be a much better purchase, if the price stays around book then it sucks :notnice: . No we dont all own mint cars, but can pick out problems on other peoples :D , and try to ignore our own :nonono:

doing a compression test will tell you for sure if the motor is in top condition. I would never buy a used car without doing it. I'd hate to buy a car, fun it for a few months, and then find out that I need to rebuild the block because there was a cracked ring land or something like that. Also, did you run a carfax on the vehicle?

I ran a CARFAX and would just like to add the fact that this car has had 3 owners, all of which were in Jersey, clean title no accidents no problems reported. The dealer says the car was ALL adult owned.

More random pics of the car...What can you tell me about the block SVT Signature guys??

View attachment 486591
View attachment 486593
(Both of these above were taken from the dealer while it was in the lot last week)

Here are some pics of the signed block:
View attachment 486595

zoomed in now:
View attachment 486597

View attachment 486599
(Interior)

View attachment 486602
(new floor mats, found in the trunk) :banana:

View attachment 486604
(rear seats, in good condition)

What can you guys tell me about the block signature?

Dan_Soprano said:
doing a compression test will tell you for sure if the motor is in top condition. I would never buy a used car without doing it. I'd hate to buy a car, fun it for a few months, and then find out that I need to rebuild the block because there was a cracked ring land or something like that. Also, did you run a carfax on the vehicle?

Think there is anyway they would let me borrow the car for a day this weekend so i can take it to my shop to test the **** out of her? hahahah. I really dont think a dealer would do that, thats why i'm kind of stuck here. I'll talk to my mechanics where i work and instructors at my technical school and see what they think...

i was DYING to get the car on a lift and inspect the suspension and IRS, but to no avail of course :nonono:

All the problems that you see now are the obvious problems. I'm sure that there will be other things that will show their ugly faces in the following weeks after you purchase the car. I would also agree that the car has definately seen better days. If he's unsure about the even trade, then he's more than likely NOT going to do a clutch, tires or brakes. I understand that you're also going to have to do tires and brakes on your GT, but you have to also put into consideration all of the other things that you've already seen that are wrong with the Cobra as well as the future issues. If he does come back and say that they'll do it, I would definately take it to a quality shop and have a pre-purchase inspection done on it as well as the previously mentioned compression test. Then you can compare notes between yours and their's and if it doesn't look much worse to them, then it's up to you.

well its only sunday. and he said we can meet up again and talk about it on Wednesday or Thursday. Then i will ask him if i can borrow the car (assuming he wants to do the trade) otherwise he'll call me up, say no and i'll be on my merry way to another car.

I'll keep you guys posted though

I'll try and run a compression test later in the week on the cobra. Can anyone give me stock compression specs for a 99 cobra? Otherwise i'll have to look them up on all-data later in the week.

Also, can anyone tell me something interesting about the Vavle cover SVT plaque signature? :)
The driver side door plaqcard says the production date was: 05/99

Yeah its a cobra...and im sure thats all your thinking right now. First its a 99 and like the other guy said check and see if the cobra has been (fixed) to the original HP rating 320. Me myself I think that there is to much damage for my taste, the car most certaintly hasnt been taken of and honestly your looking at around 2 to 4k just to fix what u want, including replacing your Full exhaust. Its your call but i think u could do better. Its a busted Cobra!!!

Just throwing in my 2 cents:

I work at a Ford dealership in the paint shop. The visors will NOT rip up the paint. They should not be a problem to take off besides getting the remaining double sided tape off.

The bumper and quarter panel are not that bad. Very easy to fix, keep in mind it's a black car. Black is the absolute WORST at showing defects. Especially on the front bumper with rock chips and bugs.

The intake is the stock intake for that year.

The 99 Cobras had the "Mustang" engraving in the rear bumper.

I don't think aftermarket gauges say "premium fuel". It's probably the stock cobra instrument cluster in there.

Headers will be EXPENSIVE to replace, if they ever rust through.

Good luck with the decision.

xmikevankuikenx said:
Just throwing in my 2 cents:

I work at a Ford dealership in the paint shop. The visors will NOT rip up the paint. They should not be a problem to take off besides getting the remaining double sided tape off.

The bumper and quarter panel are not that bad. Very easy to fix, keep in mind it's a black car. Black is the absolute WORST at showing defects. Especially on the front bumper with rock chips and bugs.

The intake is the stock intake for that year.

The 99 Cobras had the "Mustang" engraving in the rear bumper.

I don't think aftermarket gauges say "premium fuel". It's probably the stock cobra instrument cluster in there.

Headers will be EXPENSIVE to replace, if they ever rust through.

Good luck with the decision.
That gauge cluster is right, 99 does not say SVT

Well at least there are a FEW good comments popping throught the peanut galary.

I think on a personaly level, the major problem i have with the car, other than the clutch. is the radio. Now i admit i dont care about sound quality much, i am not a picky guy with sound. HOWEVER, the 99 cobra Mach 460 SURE would be a down-grade from my very nice looking 6cd player Mach460.

Can i get a guestimate on how much it would cost to get an 01 cobra or 01+GT center console trim, so i can stop hitting my knuckles on the center dash/radio?

Also will the stock 99 cobra sterio stuff even FIT with an upgraded center console?

Status
Not open for further replies.