Here's my motor

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
I wanna put this..........................

Enginefront2.jpg

in here........eventually! View attachment 497982

Engcompfront.jpg

Attachments

• Enginefront2.jpg
    Enginefront2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 67
  • Engcompfront.jpg
    Engcompfront.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks man! Here's the shortblock.........................

Topsofpistons.jpg

'88 TC bored .030 over, Crower rods, Wiseco pistons, balanced and blueprinted by MDS Racing Engines, head by Boport - ported, shaved, cc'd, unshrouded valves, RR cam, Racer Walsh adj cam gear, ported lower, gutted and rotated upper, Bob's log, T3, 3" dp, etc.

I get alot of questions on the alt brackets. The top one is stock '89 Mustang A/C bracket, the lower is my own fab. Two pieces of 3/16" steel welded at a 90* angle and gussetted and bolted to the A/C mounting holes on the block. Here's a pic............

View attachment 497978

Click on 'Thunderstang' in my sig for the buildup.
:SNSign:

Attachments

• Topsofpistons.jpg
    Topsofpistons.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
thats a sweet looking mill, Looks like you are Remoting the Oil filter? What CR are the pistons? I dont think the stockers have valve reliefs on em. And how much did you head port set you back if you dont mind me asking, Seems like there is alot of power trapped in the stock skinny runners.

Dr.

It's a convertible. I never quite understood why anyone would want A/C in a ragtop.......kind of an oxymoron!

That was the only place left for the alt. It used to mount on top of the other bracket (yes, power steering) but I had to move it to clear the throttle body on the rotated upper. I ground and smoothed down the original ears that were on top of the p/s bracket and painted it a more toned down steel color.

Dr_EluSivE said:
thats a sweet looking mill, Looks like you are Remoting the Oil filter? What CR are the pistons? I dont think the stockers have valve reliefs on em. And how much did you head port set you back if you dont mind me asking, Seems like there is alot of power trapped in the stock skinny runners.

Thanks Doc! I just wish it was running like yours! I dumped the remote oil filter. CR is around 8.0 to 8.5:1. Boport is highly recommended! $700 shipped. He did a ton of work and even assembled it for me! Top notch job! Yeah, if you spend any money, pour it into the head. It's a huge bottleneck on these little 2.3's.

yeah AC in a vert does not always make sense, but in HOT areas, the last thing you want is to have the top down.. you get char broiled.. especially in traffic when you can't kee moving.. Been there done that, SUXORED!!

Yeah movign the Alt makes sens with that set-up.. motor looks awesome man.

Looks like you have steel fittings in that filter bypass, am I right? Just an FYI, I originally had a remote filter mount, with an oil cooler & oil thermostat in between the two. #1, I found out that the oil cooler wasn't even necessary, and #2 I had steel fittings in the bypass plate and the filter mount. I cracked the filter mount because I tightened the fittings down a bit too much. I also found that the oil took way too long to reach operating temps even with the filter screwed right onto the block (around 15 minutes of driving even on hot days). I ended up putting a factory oil cooler back on (which was a big PITA), I wish I woulda just done that from the get-go, but hey that's how it goes sometimes, and it cut the warmup time down by at least 5 minutes.

Enginefront2.jpg

I have been looking forward to you posting new pics for a long time :nice: I have been looking at your page almost every week for the past few months. All I can say is DAMN :nice: Looking sweet man. Your car is going to be bas ass when ya get it done. So hurry up :D

Dan

Attachments

• Enginefront2.jpg
    Enginefront2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
Lookin good man. I agree about the a/c I havent used mine in 3years and I live in texas!
mine is also an 89 but I plan in keeping the lx look. you are a lot further along than me in the build but Im still driving mine. soon mine will look just as disasembled as yours. Id like to pick your brain sometime about the work you have done. If its cool could you pm me your phone number so as I can call you and steel...I mean discuss your plans:D
matt

I have 3 questions...1 is that the ford light blue engine paint color.??? and 2 what manual did you use for all the wires/hoses looks like you have hid some. same thing i want to do over the winter but need to know what i can and cant do away with. i like the idea of re-locating the alt which is what i need to do. so all i would need to get is a 89 mustang a/c bracket (and make the second one)?????

88stangmangt,

1) I think it's Old Ford Blue. I may have an old can laying around, I'll check when I get home.

2) The best manual you'll ever buy is the 88 Mustang EVTM - Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. Search Ebay under Mustang EVTM. I used an EVTM in conjunction with factory wiring diagrams. Here's a link to corral.net....................

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=701475

Also, search in General Mustang Tech, over at www.corral.net. Type in 'Hiding engine bay wires'. There's a whole bunch of stuff over there.

3) Yep! I had to space my upper out 1-1/2". I used round aluminum stock. You could use washers is you want. Click on 'Thunderstang' in my sig and go to page 5. There's a pic of the lower mount.

4bangen said:
Lookin good man. I agree about the a/c I havent used mine in 3years and I live in texas!
mine is also an 89 but I plan in keeping the lx look. you are a lot further along than me in the build but Im still driving mine. soon mine will look just as disasembled as yours. Id like to pick your brain sometime about the work you have done. If its cool could you pm me your phone number so as I can call you and steel...I mean discuss your plans:D
matt
PM sent.:spot:

You can also use a alt. bracket from a Ranger. It mounts the alt in the same place cant remember which years but I have seen a few at the yard.

Dan

89LX had done this on his stang
pic%20470.jpg

lookin good man! and not to be a pooper on the a/c but it's something I always try to have "just in case".

never know when the g/f will moan and say put up the top she's hot and wants a/c...or a freak thunderstorm on a sunny day pops up in horrible traffic 100 miles from home...doh! the windshield will definitely fog up then :p

evintho said:
88stangmangt,

1) I think it's Old Ford Blue. I may have an old can laying around, I'll check when I get home.

2) The best manual you'll ever buy is the 88 Mustang EVTM - Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. Search Ebay under Mustang EVTM. I used an EVTM in conjunction with factory wiring diagrams. Here's a link to corral.net....................

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=701475

Also, search in General Mustang Tech, over at www.corral.net. Type in 'Hiding engine bay wires'. There's a whole bunch of stuff over there.

3) Yep! I had to space my upper out 1-1/2". I used round aluminum stock. You could use washers is you want. Click on 'Thunderstang' in my sig and go to page 5. There's a pic of the lower mount.
what ps pump/bracket are you running....the TC pump and bracket has to much clutter IMO.