Hertz Shelby GT-H review and rental experience

GT-H convertible locations

"The 2008 Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang convertible will be available at select airport locations that feature the Hertz Fun Collection including Phoenix, Arizona; Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and San Francisco, California; Denver, Colorado; Maui and Honolulu, Hawaii, and Las Vegas, Nevada."

Funny, if I try to book something at these locations (haven't tried Hawaii) for any time in the next 3 months, all I see is the GT-H, not the convertible. Mind you, the convertible picture is there, but I know from experience that you don't get the convertible unless it specifically says it. So how do you rent a convertible, from where, and why did I see one on the road? :shrug: I should have waited for the guy who rented that one to see how he did it . . . .:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I was just in Chicago and they had at least 2 convertibles for rent at the airport. Maybe they will move them south when the weather turns? By the way, they don't necessarily list that you can reserve the covertible on he website - you can ask, but no way to know until you show up (and show up early).

By "early '08," I mean Q1 . . . not January. They'll still have most of the cars in the rental rotation for most of '08, probably, just as you can still rent the last of the coupes now.

Yeah, just checked Chicago - none at Midway, but yes at O'Hare, though they don't say convertible or coupe. (though I wish they would call these fastbacks. A coupe has a sedan profile and 2 doors, a fastback has an aerodynamic back, but a normal trunk, and 2 doors)

I asked about the convertible at Ontario, california - they called around the lot to see if they had one, but it was early, and I felt like they were kind of lying about the convertible being an option. They mentioned it would cost more. It's kind of false advertising that you can't specify convertible or coupe. They should rent you what is pictured and have a separate listing.

I think the Hertz Shelbys are very nice looking cars...but I would never own one...you're just one example of how people who rent cars really do treat it like a rental...not tyring to badmouth you, but that's the truth...when it's not yours the gas pedal gets mashed as often as possible, hard braking, etc....I sure hope that when they take our personally owned Mustangs into the dealership for service that the young mechanics don't treat them the same way...but who knows?

Mark25,

You're assuming he doesn't drive his regular car that way!

I have a GT-H and I probably "abuse" it just as much as the car I rented before and probably not much more than those who rented my car did. Who buys *any* Mustang and doesn't rev the engine, try to peel out, take a corner too fast, etc.?

Just got back from a week in Vegas. Rented a GT-H and took a trip to the Shelby plant and took a tour. Great fun! As for renting one, I got the keys and went out thinking I had a rented a convertible, but was given a coupe. Went back in and the agent said that they didn't guarantee convertibles. If they had one, you could get it. Fortunately they did and I got it. Fun to drive, autos are slow to accellerate but good once moving. Very impressed with the ride. Solid and tight! My wife even commented on how good it rode. It was $119 a day with 75 miles free. When you add all the unspecified taxes etc, it is more than that but worth it. Great trip out to Red Rocks. The factory was great, got a behind the scenes tour with the sales manager and a free tour of the nearby Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Visit both if you get the chance.

nice!

:nice: Took the pony back to where it was born, eh? Yeah, the 75 miles seems a bit stifling, but I really would have liked the convertible. Did you get to go top down? The car I mean, no disrespect to your wife intended. :rolleyes: