Hood scoop?

merlinsteele

Nov 21, 2004
Oklahoma
Sorry for the stupid question. I was talking to my brother today, who mentioned that he'd heard thru these guys at work, that there was going to be a mustang model (mach 1?) that would have a hood scoop of some kind. Has anyone else heard of this? I don't know why, but I like scoops. I guess the hood looks kind of flat w/o one, I don't know. Anyway, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Classic Design Concepts is finishing up on a shaker kit for the 05, I believe they also have a nonfuntional hood scoop for sale.

Thanks, friends, for the tips so far. I have another question that I'd like to start a new thread on, but since I started this silly one, I hate to start another one.

Some of you have seen the GT-R pics, right? The burnt orange(?) mustang race car, with black trim features, such as the black hood. What do you folks think about a yellow stang with features such as that, and maybe an aftermarket hood, black with yellow hood scoop? I've seen similar stangs, just a few, and they looked pretty cool.

Stangnut said:
The black hood would look rice.
It's a REAL car, not a wind-up toy.

Have you seen the picks of the GT-R race Stang? There are plenty of other black details on the car to help offset the black hood, plus, like I said, it would have a yellow 'scoop'.

Btw, I do know it's a real car, not a wind-up toy. Remember, opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one. Personally, I don't think it would look 'rice'. But that's JMHO.

merlinsteele said:
Have you seen the picks of the GT-R race Stang? There are plenty of other black details on the car to help offset the black hood, plus, like I said, it would have a yellow 'scoop'.

Btw, I do know it's a real car, not a wind-up toy. Remember, opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one. Personally, I don't think it would look 'rice'. But that's JMHO.

Uh...didnt you ask for opinions?

For the record, don't repaint a perfectly good hood. Thats $300-400 in go fast goodies!!

SWTSWNG said:
Uh...didnt you ask for opinions?

For the record, don't repaint a perfectly good hood. Thats $300-400 in go fast goodies!!

I'd appreciate opinions, yes, but not rebuttals. And saying, don't do this or don't do that is not an opinion, either. I don't insult other people's opinions (calling them 'rice') or tell them what to do with their car. An opinion is appreciated though!

P.S. When I made the remark about everyone having an opinion, I meant to clarify that something being 'rice' is an opinion, not a fact.

I don't understand this fascination with taking a perfectly good car/paint job, and repainting one of the panels black(Hey, why not just the right fender?). The GT-R is a racecar, and they were paying homage to a former racecar with the black hood. It looks mean with that shade of yellow, but also with all of the other details that scream 'racecar' since that's what it is. I personally think it would have looked better painted body color, but I appreciate what they are trying to evoke from the past.

I just think a street car would look odd with a black hood unless the car was black. Please don't take this as a flame, as I don't intend it as such. You're not nearly alone in this black hood phenomenon, and I'm just trying to understand it. :)

RandyB said:
I don't understand this fascination with taking a perfectly good car/paint job, and repainting one of the panels black(Hey, why not just the right fender?). The GT-R is a racecar, and they were paying homage to a former racecar with the black hood. It looks mean with that shade of yellow, but also with all of the other details that scream 'racecar' since that's what it is. I personally think it would have looked better painted body color, but I appreciate what they are trying to evoke from the past.

I just think a street car would look odd with a black hood unless the car was black. Please don't take this as a flame, as I don't intend it as such. You're not nearly alone in this black hood phenomenon, and I'm just trying to understand it. :)

Thanks for your civil reply, RandyB. I appreciate it. Actually, I'm just trying to find a different look for my stang, because I'm sure eventually there will be plenty of them on the road by this time next year by the time I decide to make the plunge.

I'll probably just go for one of the red colors, in memory of two of my past sports cars. I won't say what they were in fear of getting flamed for their 'make' and 'model'! Haha! J/k! But two of them were red, anyway.

merlinsteele said:
Thanks for your civil reply, RandyB. I appreciate it. Actually, I'm just trying to find a different look for my stang, because I'm sure eventually there will be plenty of them on the road by this time next year by the time I decide to make the plunge.

I'll probably just go for one of the red colors, in memory of two of my past sports cars. I won't say what they were in fear of getting flamed for their 'make' and 'model'! Haha! J/k! But two of them were red, anyway.

Red is a great choice! :D By the way, if you do decide to modify the hood in any way I would suggest keeping the original one and modifying another hood. It would be more costly from the get-go, but may save you some if you decide to sell the car or want to put it back original for yourself.

RandyB said:
Red is a great choice! :D By the way, if you do decide to modify the hood in any way I would suggest keeping the original one and modifying another hood. It would be more costly from the get-go, but may save you some if you decide to sell the car or want to put it back original for yourself.

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a good idea.

Why is a black hood rice now? So the '70 Boss Mustang is rice, the old dodge cars are rice too, they had some black hoods...

The term "rice" is used soo much these days. Let's go back the "Ricky racers" and what not.

IMO: A black hood, painted to flow with the original lines would look nice, a colored scoop in the middle would be too much. I'd just leave the scoop black or paint the hood black with the scoop.

Of course if you put this huge black detail on the hood, you'll need to repeat this somewhere else such as a black spoiler and maybe some black graphics (small and sublime) on the sides.

The black hood was a semi-common muscle car touch. AAR Cuda's, some stangs, RoadRunners, etc. It's something like hood-scoops and side scoops that could look dumb tacked onto an otherwise bland looking car, but is a nice touch on a tough-looking muscle car.

I think the 05 wouldn't look all that great with the black hood, the way it is, but with a decent body kit it could look great (like the demo car GTR Stang). I would just want some sort of hood scoop, my favorite type being the gt-500 dual scoops on the front of the hood. That little touch, with maybe dual racing stripes would be all you need to make the 05 a lot more muscular looking.

Shaggydog2000 said:
The black hood was a semi-common muscle car touch. AAR Cuda's, some stangs, RoadRunners, etc. It's something like hood-scoops and side scoops that could look dumb tacked onto an otherwise bland looking car, but is a nice touch on a tough-looking muscle car.

I think the 05 wouldn't look all that great with the black hood, the way it is, but with a decent body kit it could look great (like the demo car GTR Stang). I would just want some sort of hood scoop, my favorite type being the gt-500 dual scoops on the front of the hood. That little touch, with maybe dual racing stripes would be all you need to make the 05 a lot more muscular looking.

I think I like your idea. Just a hood scoop and stripes probably would do up the 05 Stang just fine. Seems like I remember some other sports cars that had those same things on it, and they looked pretty cool. :nice: