Hot Rod /Motor Trend Threads In here

kirkyg said:
Actually no 1/4 mile times will be quicker with a 5 speed because 1st and 2nd are soo steep on most 5 speeds. Also you'll have better acceleration in 5th gear vs 6th in the 6 speed. But again the 6 speed is awesome in cars that have lots of hp because of its torque rating, and like you said close ratio gears. A 5 speed will outperform though from the getgo.

kirkyg

a good driver in a 6spd should have no problem taking care of a 5-speed car with the same power. its all a matter of how well you can get through the gears...

• Sponsors (?)

They can use the transmission out of current cobra's but i'm willing to bet thosee 6 speeds cost more than a few bucks over a 5 speed. Also, They arn't going to release a car with everything the first year because they wouldn't have room to grow and improve. They want to keep the car improving over the years to keep demand up.

I'm going to assume Ford wants to keep their margin up as i'm sure they will sell 100-1 Gt's over cobra's. So the cheaper it is for them to make the more money they can make at the same targeted price point.

Silentst2000 said:
They can use the transmission out of current cobra's but i'm willing to bet thosee 6 speeds cost more than a few bucks over a 5 speed. Also, They arn't going to release a car with everything the first year because they wouldn't have room to grow and improve. They want to keep the car improving over the years to keep demand up.

I'm going to assume Ford wants to keep their margin up as i'm sure they will sell 100-1 Gt's over cobra's. So the cheaper it is for them to make the more money they can make at the same targeted price point.

LOL!

I havent seen improvements over YEARS of current models...

260hp since 99 to current, no improvements. EXCEPT the T45 to 3650 change in ~2001 because of complaints.

215hp from 1994-1998, no improvements.

225hp from 1986-1993, no improvements.

Its also FACT that the Mustang GT is THE MONEY maker for FORD, as well as the COBRA. They make HARDLY any money on the V6.

yellow5.0cobra said:
Its also FACT that the Mustang GT is THE MONEY maker for FORD, as well as the COBRA. They make HARDLY any money on the V6.

Please back up this "fact". Volume = profit. If they sell 10 V6's for every 1 GT and 10 GT's for every Cobra, I fail to see how the V6 is NOT the money maker. Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

JaysGreenLX said:
And just to inform you the proper spellings are DUDE and CUZ or CUS but if you don't want to sound like a total rube then it's BECAUSE.

If you are going to offer grammar lesson at least make sure you can spell.

Anyway, the car looks decent I just don't think I would like to buy one until the next redesign.

:rolleyes:

I actually wasn't offering a grammar lesson, I was explaining that if you say "I could care less" you really mean that you care, whereas "I couldn't care less" means there is no way you could possibly care any less about whatever you say next.

I couldn't care less about the spelling, as it wasn't pertinent to explaining the difference between the sayings. As long as the spelling of the word gives the same pronunciation as the correct spelling is all that matters as long as the incorrect spelling isn't already a word with a different meaning.

Merry Christmas :nice:

JLstang351 said:
I think the overall design is very nice! However It needs a few minor details.Im not crazy about the lights in the grille. They need to put some fog lights in the bottom valance . The lx just looks like a$s.It reminds me of a mustang 2. Has anyone else seen the wheel/tire sizes. The factory gt size is 235/55/17 optional is like 275/45/18. 235/55 what the hell are they thinking. Everyone complains enough now w/ a 245 so why down grade :shrug: THe seats and the mufflers are pretty hideous too!
The car is retro down to the tires too!:p Nice large sidewalls. Don't worry, the aftermarket will have a set for you. The lights in then grill were there 30 years ago, so expect that. The mufflers like stated before paint black or replace them. From the looks of it this car owns the current GT and with mods and a blower might rival 03,04 Cobras with pullies and boltons. Not to bad for under 30 thousand fully loaded.:nice:

I was just looking the pics over with my dad , another Mustang lover.
we really like the new 05 design. love the roof lines
Int does look nice . 3 bar steering wheel 65' look

Aftermarket will be great for this car.
I'm thinking about some different design now .

No 3rd brake light ! shaved it off.

Some nice tires & rims and that car would be more bad ass !

yellow5.0cobra said:
LOL!

I havent seen improvements over YEARS of current models...

260hp since 99 to current, no improvements. EXCEPT the T45 to 3650 change in ~2001 because of complaints.

215hp from 1994-1998, no improvements.

225hp from 1986-1993, no improvements.

Um...they improved the powertrain of the 5.0's over time and the 4.6's twice since its original production. The car itself was modified some but thats not the piont. Ford is gradually increasing its base hp and gt hp. They are not going to give the ultimate hp out to the consumer all at once. Technology is a gradual improvement and the ability to do things over time gradually will eventually improve the bottom line too.

kirkyg

I don't know how in depth you have looked at different years of mustangs. And I only know about Cobra's. But the Cobra has comeout with slight improvements on it. In EVERY year. Granted they are not always hp. But there are nearly 10 differences between my 97 and my former roommate's 98. And we discover something else everytime we look at them.

I love it

I on the other hand love the car, Regardless of the mufflers or unpainted side mirrors. there will be so much after-market out there that mostly anything can be fixed for personel taste.
I traded in my 03 V6 mustang for a ZX2 to save money for the love of my life, which i will get in summer of 2005.
I was planning to mod my V6 to be a stock GT eater by putting atleast 3-4 grand into it..........not any more!

Jeffspeed24 said:
I on the other hand love the car, Regardless of the mufflers or unpainted side mirrors. there will be so much after-market out there that mostly anything can be fixed for personel taste.
I traded in my 03 V6 mustang for a ZX2 to save money for the love of my life, which i will get in summer of 2005.
I was planning to mod my V6 to be a stock GT eater by putting atleast 3-4 grand into it..........not any more!

Love the car. Really. But I have to say, the wheels on the GT look like they came straight from the Explorer Limited! No?

Here in Detroit, the Mustangs that are on the Dealer Lots are sitting for months.

The factory guys (line and management) all are telling their friends and neighbors to not even CONSIDER buying the old model Mustang. Wait for the 05's is the major buzz around here.

I took my buddies over to the Dealership on I-94 and M-59 one Sunday two weeks ago, to take a look at brake rotors and see how bad they are rusted from sitting and not being serviced. (Boring weekend I know.) We counted over fifty Mustangs with front and back rotors surface rusted so bad that they felt like running your fingers over a rasp file rather than a rotor. Seriously, 40 grit sandpaper would have seemed smooth compared. The five 03' Cobras I saw with crusted rotors and slack tires made me sick.

My girlfriend asked if it was a problem with the ford rotor design. We told her no, it was a problem with Ford extending the fox platform so long, the buying public has finally had enough it seems (here in Detroit at least).

If you are making payments on a 99-2004, sell it NOW and wait. When the 05' model starts making itself known your values may remain strong on paper, but good luck finding people to choose your car over a new one when you get ready to sell.

Imagine how hard it was to sell a 78 Mustang II after the 79 Fox platform started coming out! Happy Holidays everyone from Detroit!

:banana:

351SwitchBlade said:
Here in Detroit, the Mustangs that are on the Dealer Lots are sitting for months.

Your Detroit dealers must have ordered too many Mustangs or fired all their sales people as Mustang sales for calander year 2003 are running slightly ahead of 2002.

But I do belive that as long as Ford has their stuff together and can make enough of them Ford will sell a lot of 2005 Mustangs. I wouldn't doubt that the 2005 Mustang will have the best sales for any Mustang since the new Mustang II sales were 380,000 back in 1974.

YUM!!!! no only if i wasnt broke for the next 5 years...gotta sell my stupid pos dodge after i get dodge to fix all the damage they have done.

I think it looks great, the only things id change are the hood(easy) and the mufflers showing, im guessin you should be able to hide them with after market mufflers(i hope)