How many horses(about)?

91stangy

Jun 11, 2003
I've recently finished building my 302. In my 87 GT I am wondering if anyone maybe has a similar set up or has an idea of how much power I should create.

Here is the set up:
AFR 165 61cc
Anderson Ford Motorsports N41 Cam
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
24lb Injectors
75 Mass Air
MAC Cold Air
BBK Pullies
70 Acufab Throttle Body
Mac shorties, MAC Pro-Chamber H pipe, and flowmaster cat back.

Only reason I ask is because I took it out on the road last night and lost to my budies' 2003 z28 Camaro, which was dynoed at 348 to the wheels, this passed saturday. Considering my car is lighter and I'd obviously have less power then him still, I would lose but not as badly as I did. Most likly keep up, at least. 1st to 2nd I had him, but then I hit third and he hit third and it was over, pretty badly. After all this I lose this badly still? ( I will mention I have 3.73 in the rear). What could be wrong still? I havn't dynoes or tuned it at all, do I need a tune??

• Sponsors (?)

If he has 348HP at the wheels that'd be about 410-415 flywheel hp.

As for weight, an 87GT isn't that much lighter than a Gen 4 Z28. AFAIK a Z28 is just under 3500lbs, and the 87GT is about 3200 stock (give or take some depending on power options, a/c).

I'd say your car if in good tune, would put about 270HP to the wheels, with that setup.

3500lbs/348WHP = 10lbs per WHP
3200lbs/270WHP = 11.8lbs per WHP (again I don't know what features your car has or any weight reduction done)

Not sure what your suspension mods are, but you also have to factor in 1987 suspension technology/geometry vs 2003. If your timing is not advanced that can be an area for some improvement.

270 at the wheels? More liek 290 if not 300. The only restriction is the intake, and it's not a big one.

Here's how I looked at it:
H/C/I setup, full exhaust upgrade, maf conversion, a little bit from the U/D pullies, and the injectors not entirely necessary (though I myself have a similar setup with 24lbs lol). IMHO this is good for a 100HP(flywheel) increase over stock, in good tune.
That brings the car to 325HP(flywheel) lose about 15% to the the wheels and that's 276WHP.

Now, you have a similar setup to the poster, and if you have dynoed at 290-300HP I apologize. However, I just don't see 125+ flywheel hp there.

I thought about the intake being restrictive after I did this set up. But the Intake was the first thing done and at that time, I never thought I'd go this far haha. Maybe sometime along the line I will change it up.

I guess we'll just leave it up to a good tune and see where I stand. I guess I expected more from it then I would actually recieve. Which is alright because it only gives me more knowledge about this.

While my setup is significatly different than yours and mine choked @ 4500, your can use your imagionation (or a straight edge) to see what I's working to.

dynochart.jpg

I personally think you'd be looking at about 270 RWHP and 290 torque.

92 Mustang coupe, 331 stroker w/ 10.4:1 compression. 30#injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, msd coil, bbk ssi intake, cold air, cc 1.6 roller rockers, World Windsor Jr. iron heads, Diablosport chip, shorty headers, deleted smog, high flow cats, flowmasters, 70 mm TB, 73mm MAF, SRP forged pistons, 5.4” H-beam rods, 4340 steel crank, balanced @ 28 oz, billet steel flywheel, Kevlar clutch, etc.

Lunati Custom Cam 110/118 lobes, .548" lift, 230/237 dur. @ .050

What's the reason for it choking @ 4500. I had a friend who had his stuff tuned also and his did the same, but he was told it was because of his fuel pump. Speaking of which should I also look into replacing mine, do I have to just yet?

heads and cam ls1's are no joke man

That ls1 making 348 is no h/c car. It would be upwards of 450 no problem. Sounds like it probably doesn't even have a cam, maybe a very small one, but seems like just a full bolt-on car making those numbers. The OP's car should be damn near 300 to the wheels with a good tune, but obviously something's a little off if he's beating you that bad with 50 more hp and a couple hundred pounds.