How safe is autotrader?

American_Muscle

May 9, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a nice 94-95 stang.
Autotrader is probably my best bet.
Problem is I'm stationed in Germany and I'm going to have to have it shipped over here.

How safe is autotrader.com?
I'm gonna have to send the money to the dealer.
Are the dealers on autotrader legit?
Couldn't anybody claim to be a dealer on autotrader?

• Sponsors (?)

Caveat Emptor...Buyer beware. I've sold about 8 cars on there though and never had a problem with any of them. But I make the buyers sign a recipt saying the car is as is with no warranty whatsoever. When I found my cobra I actually found it on Autotrader.com too, and went out of state to look at it and wound up buying it. Good look with it.

I bought my Stang from there back in 1998, but I went to the seller's house and made the transaction there. I would NEVER buy a car sight unseen. There are just too many things that can be wrong with a car and you need to see it in person.

Find a car near someone that can check it out for you... Stangers unite and I am sure someone can help you out as you are over seas...

NOT ALL DEALERS ARE LEGIT... When I was looking for my vert I ran into some shady people too.. And don't trust carfax 100%. It says my car was never in an accident but I saw the damage before it was fixed... Nothing beats a good hard look at a car by someone who knows something...

Chris

Ya that's what I'm thinking of doing.

All my relatives are close together in either florida or louisiana.
And I'm not sure I can trust anybody else.

Dangit, and I'll be over here for a couple years.

Bought mine from a dealer ad off of autotrader. I drove to get it though. Just make shure you deal with one person and let them know your situation. Also make shure before you buy it to get a complete carfax, and make shure the state provides a correct-current odometer paper with it.

Since your in the service see if they will take some off the price too. Had a friend that was in the navy and he got a $750 discount! :flag:

mine was at a small used car lot that i found on auto trader. the car was wrecked at one point (but fixed). i was never told this and i really dont care. the car fax was clean buit you really wont know unless you see it. i am very happy with my car though :nice: