How to remove a Steering Column?

LUCAFU1

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2001
Tucson
Ok I know how to remove a normal steering column with a flexible coupling but on my 66 mustang it doesnt have one. So i look in my haynes manual and it says to remove bolts from the coupling..................I dont have one!
LOL so not my column is just hanging there. My whole front suspension and brakes are on the floor still attaches to the steering gear (which is removes) and that is attached to the steering column...................

It looks like it might be pressed on there so I tried to pry it but nothing (not much room between the column and steering gear). I tried yanking on the steering wheel until the car was about to come of the jack............... nothing. I know im over looking something and this is the last thing (beside the master cylinder) thats in my engine and in passenger compartment.

Today I removed all the wiring, all the front power suspension, fuel tank, and disc brakes. Tomarrow I will finish up with the rear suspension.

Thanks

Luis

• Sponsors (?)

LUCAFU1 said:
nevermind, I found it on the 7th page of my 3rd try of searching.

I guess I will have to pull the steering wheel to get to the bolts, damn Im dumb. =)

Let me know if this works. I've tried to remove/adjust the steering column by removing the two support nuts under the dash, steering wheel, and turn signal but something was still preventing it from coming out.