How to use an orbital buffer properly ??

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Ok I just bought this :

buffer.JPG

I have no idea how to use it... ok this may sound stupid but what is recommanded for a dark paint like mine, and do we have to still make rounded moves or just go up and down, or from left to right ??

I mean there's 3 type of tissues there.. I know the green one is to apply the wax on it, but then, do I wich one I use to remove the wax when its dried ? Why is there 2 kinds ? Must be a reason.... Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

91LX_5L said:
do you ever use the foam pads? what do u use em for? I just used the appling pads to apply and a terry cloth and my hands to remove. i never really buffed it does it make a diff? too late now?

i got 4-5 foam pads, dif. abbrasivenesses (sp?) 2 microfiber bonnets, 2 wool bonnets, 2 microfiber towels, a ton of terry cloths, and a whole bucket of dif. kinds of wax :D

The pad that comes with the 7424 is JUNK!!!

91LX_5L said:
I dont use that foam pad. I never have. What do u use the foam pads for anyways? Do you buff your car with a sheep wool or terry cloth bonnet as the very last stage? does it make a diff?

the foam pads are "cutting pads" that are used for getting rid of scratches/swirls/etc, the most abbrasive is used for DEEP scratches, then the next abbrasive is used for light scratches, etc. you can use the wool pad for applying wax, but it will most likely cause swirl marks unless you keep the speed down.....then use either hand towels or microfiber bonnet to remove wax

to apply wax i use a very soft pad

super302 said:
the foam pads are "cutting pads" that are used for getting rid of scratches/swirls/etc, the most abbrasive is used for DEEP scratches, then the next abbrasive is used for light scratches, etc. you can use the wool pad for applying wax, but it will most likely cause swirl marks unless you keep the speed down.....then use either hand towels or microfiber bonnet to remove wax

to apply wax i use a very soft pad

My scrathes came out pretty good but damn I never knew thats what the foam was for. Cool thanks!