I need a rumbling exhaust... help!

New exhaust but it's gotta sound good

I will be replacing the stock exhaust on my '08 V6 but am unsure what kind to get.

Obviously I don't want to spend tons of money for this, so which exhaust system should I get? I am looking for a deep-toned rumble and not a higher-pitched whine.

The exhaust that best matches what I am looking for are the SLP Loudmouths... but they are designed for GTs. If I just purchased one Loudmouth and installed it on my GT, would it sound roughly the same?

I am also interested in the factory '08 Bullitt exhaust muffler. It sounds pretty good, but once again... designed for a GT.

Does anyone know how I can get my nice deep-toned rumble for a V6... without spending a ton of money?

Is there a muffler that is best? Or should I do the faux dual exhaust with the Y-pipe? What does it typically cost to install those?

• Sponsors (?)

You definitely don't want a straight thru design, or no muffler design, for that matter. For a V6, you want a chambered muffler. The Bullitt muffler would probably sound nice.

Has anyone tried GT take offs with single or dual exhaust?

Yes. Shooterm1 has successfully utilized the GT takeoffs, as have a couple other members and all seem to be pleased with the end result.

shooterm1 setup said:
V6 - Stick / White w/black interior / Spoiler Delete
GT Grill and Foglights / GT Take-off Dual exhaust
Ford Racing 7.5 T-lok Differential w/stock 3.31 gears
GT takeoff 17" Bullit wheels and Pirelli Pzero Neros
GT rear swaybar, w/Roush GT rear lowering springs
Tokico Sports Shocks

Magnaflow 16605 is the most popular for the v6. $479 w/free shipping, yes it y's off and yes it is a straight thru design. But to be honest with you, I have had more compliments on its sound and they all cant believe it when I tell them its a v6.
:)

Edit-
you decide for yourself
sound clips
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=mainall&id=947

Better price
http://www.magnaflowplanet.com/product.php?productid=6513

Ok, maybe straight-thru designed mufflers sound ok. I haven't heard one. But they also have sound louvers and such. But an SLP Loudmouth will literally sound like the muffler fell off. Not good on a V6.

I will be replacing the stock exhaust on my '08 V6 but am unsure what kind to get.

Obviously I don't want to spend tons of money for this, so which exhaust system should I get? I am looking for a deep-toned rumble and not a higher-pitched whine.

The exhaust that best matches what I am looking for are the SLP Loudmouths... but they are designed for GTs. If I just purchased one Loudmouth and installed it on my GT, would it sound roughly the same?

I am also interested in the factory '08 Bullitt exhaust muffler. It sounds pretty good, but once again... designed for a GT.

Does anyone know how I can get my nice deep-toned rumble for a V6... without spending a ton of money?

Is there a muffler that is best? Or should I do the faux dual exhaust with the Y-pipe? What does it typically cost to install those?

go to youtube or somewhere similar and do a search of 'V6 Mustang exhaust'. Then you can hear what you like or don't like. Exhaust tone is a very personal taste. Some like one thing, some another. Truth be told the V6 has it's own sound. You can squelch some of the undesirable tones and add to some of the preferred tones but the engine note will pretty much sound the same no matter what you do. I have a straight thru design with my Pypes Violator. I like it, it's loud, but that's what my ear prefers. Check out alot of different sounds, then pay your money and hope it's what you expected. There's always lots of folks looking to buy almost new mufflers around. If you hate the sound it won't cost you much to change it. The GT take off is the cheapest. Try that one first maybe ?