if it's not one thing... it's another

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
The a4ld went out on my 88 about 2 months ago. I've spent the entire time since then rebuilding a C4 and installing it (had trouble sourcing certain parts). Well, I finnally got everything on the C4 together and working, and went for some test drives today. Now, I think the turbo is toast. Does it ever end?
Anyway, I get a rediculous amout of blue smoke from the exhaust now. The plugs arn't oil fowled, but it won't idle (might be related to a air-fuel ratio issue). I'm thinking it's the turbo because this turbo is sloppy as hell, and when I rev it, I hear this high pitched rattle/scrapping.

• Sponsors (?)

SVO1 said:
Yeah I would say that is the turbo death rattle.
I would pull it and rebuild it before it's too late (unless it is already)
So did you get your c4 issues fixed?
I really don't want to mess with rebuilding this turbo. It hasn't been appart in 20 years, and I know every single one of the bolts on the exhaust housing would break off, because that already happen on the turn down to housing bolts.
I did get most of the C4 issues fixed. It has all of it's gears, but it seems here is still a sticky valve on the govener. It isn't going to cause damage to leave it like that, and it is likely to clear up with the all new fluid in it. It just holds 2nd gear when it comes to a stop, but downshifts as soon as I get going. Worst case, I pull the driveshaft and tailhousing off to rebuild the govenern.

How about some more details on the C4 to 2.3 swap, I am intersested.
For putting a c4 in a 2.3 mustang, it takes a c4, 2.3 c4 bellhousing, torque converter, flex plate, and the driveshaft and cross member from a T5 car. Mostly, its a matter of bolting things up. To keep things cheaper, I used my A4ld shifter. I had to extend the shift linkage for that, and it isn't perfect, but an aftermarket shifter would all of that.