Illnois Car Enthusiast WARNING!

Notchbck93

Dec 9, 2003
IL
Alright people we have one last chance to voice our opinions on why Cat back systems should not even be considered for emissions compliance. If this does pass, you can kiss your WS2 goodbye along with any other cat back system. "Failure to comply will result in the suspension of driving privileges and/or vehicle registration."

Below is the information along with an email address. I would ask that you would be as professional as possible.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE: IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED)

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Passes House, Moves to Senate

A bill (H.B. 2221) to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle” was quickly passed last night by the Illinois House on a 61-55 vote and is gaining momentum in the Senate. Under the bill, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” will fail emissions inspection. The Legislature will adjourn for the year on Tuesday, May 31st leaving a short time to complete action in the Senate. The bill is being sponsored in the Senate by James Clayborne, Jr. ([email protected])

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call, Fax or E-Mail Senate sponsor James Clayborne, Jr. (Contact Information Attached) Immediately to Oppose H.B. 2221

· H.B. 2221 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· H.B. 2221 does not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce (e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure), allowing them to make subjective judgments based on “visual observations” on whether or not a modified exhaust system increases noise.

· H.B. 2221 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

· H.B. 2221 would make it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call, fax or e-mail Senator Clayborne immediately to oppose H.B. 2221. This bill unfairly tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Illinois.

Senator James F. Clayborne, Jr.

(Phone) 217/782-5399

(Fax) 217/782-5340

[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

i just turned 18 recently and am now able to vote.. and like every american i believe in the freedoms this country is built on

H.B. 2221

i believe is an enfringement on our rights as americans to pursue our own happiness..

this bill is going to not only take away our rights, but food from the mouths of america.. the jobs lost and money taken away from those people is only hurting america because you believe it is a good idea to take away peoples choices to do to do to there car as they please...

there are already laws in america that are mandated to prevent cars from being over a certain decible limit, and laws that regulate emmisions on a car.

this bill does not propose anything about how loud cars can be and it sets no real limit, only the by a visual test an emmisions operator can pass or fail or take away your liscense or revoke your registration...

i am an american many of my friends are in the military.. i drive an american car.. a mustang, yes i do have an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system.. why? because the stock mufflers had rusted out and i had to replace them... Quick fact: the decible level of my exhaust cut in half after putting on my aftermarket exhaust..

just because someone may want to change the sound of THEIR car does not mean they should be punished..

there are already laws that regulate sound and emissions and this bill should not be passed and not be supported by anyone who believes in the very freedoms america is built on...

Alex Varga

^^^
thats what i wrote to them ive done my part i think you all should too

F-THAT, I will move to WI. The thing that pisses me off is, we can get bull**** tickets for our exhaust being loud. What about F@#!*!# Harley's :shrug: You can hear them from two blocks away! Now do not get me wrong I love Harley's, but WTF!

R L

So when does the law against internal combustion engines pass?I think our state has bigger problems like education and public housing.Some politican had a big block pass by the house and rattle their windows and now they want satisfaction.Smog Nazi.

IT is really sad, because a cat back has no effect whatsoever on emissions, yet they fail to realize that. Our sons and daughter fight for freedom? or do they? Freedom for who? For our government to say we have the freedom to work and pay taxes. That is all our freedom entails.

someone in in springfeild is set to make a lot of many if this passes........thats the only thing that makes sense about the bill. if it passes i'm leading the pack to springfeild to pipe wrap the capitial.who's with me? i'm serious.

C2-5.0 said:
someone in in springfeild is set to make a lot of many if this passes........thats the only thing that makes sense about the bill. if it passes i'm leading the pack to springfeild to pipe wrap the capitial.who's with me? i'm serious.

I'm pretty sure that me and a couple of my buddies wouldn't mind going on a road trip to Springfield. I doubt that it's going to pass thought.

GT4RL said:
F-THAT, I will move to WI. The thing that pisses me off is, we can get bull**** tickets for our exhaust being loud. What about F@#!*!# Harley's :shrug: You can hear them from two blocks away! Now do not get me wrong I love Harley's, but WTF!

R L

WI DOT LAWs 347.39 sub section 2
No person shall modify a vehicles exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emmitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

This can go down on one like them trying to take away guns. You can have my guy when you pull it from my cold dead fingers and you can tell me my exhaust is to loud from underneith the tires of my car! :mad:

Vandil said:
WI DOT LAWs 347.39 sub section 2
No person shall modify a vehicles exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emmitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

Yeah aftermarket exhausts are illegal here, but at least most of WI is emissions testing free.

I've been running without my precat and cat for 2 years now.

SlowSupraTurbo said:
Yeah aftermarket exhausts are illegal here, but at least most of WI is emissions testing free.

I've been running without my precat and cat for 2 years now.

Yeah lucky us. I've had my tacoma straight piped for a couple years now as well.