im gunna give it another shot

RedDaemon

10 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
some of you all may remember that a while back i tried claybaring my car which didnt work out too well (started to clay bar and actually got scratches in the paint from it). now being that it has been about 6+ months i still have the remaining portion of the bar (which was broken off of the piece that i used before hand) is this bar still good or is it recommended that i go out and get a new one? its still in its packaging and in the box away from heat and sunlight :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok. If the clay is 'workable', meaning it's not rock solid, then it will be fine. Just don't drop it on the ground or set it on a dirty surface. That will cause scratches! Just buy some quick detailer and keep the surface that you are 'clay-baring' really wet. That is key or you will probably scratch your paint. As I'm sure you know, wash your car first (don't have to dry it really). Keep flipping and mixing the claybar once the surface of the bar gets dirty ... you will have positive results. :nice:

If the bar stops while rubbing the paint, lube lube lube!

alright cool thanks!

heres whats always got me about claybarring tho:

of course u need the detailing spray for the claybar however the directions say explicitly on every bottle ive picked up saying to not let it dry on the car. how do you do the whole car without having to rinse off your tiny area everytime ur done in that particular spot?

speedfreak98r said:
I just buffed the spots I just finished with a terry cloth towel, then moved on to another spot :shrug:

Yep, same here.

Just spray a panel, hood, whatever. Spray it WELL then claybar it. After that just take a towel and dry it off (not trying to buff it to perfection or anything), just wipe in one direction until the majority of the wetness is "smeared" so to speak. You are going to be polishing the car afterwards so just wipe the wetness off, lightly. Make sense?

I agree, keep that car wet....probably use the whole bottle of detailer spray. I always do my whole car (in the shade) and just wash it again after to get all the residue off. Its up to you, but if that bar scratched your last car....it likely has some particles in it, I think I'd spend the extra 10 bucks and jsut buy a fresh one. This way you know its clean!

Ive found that over the years of using claybars that the Meguirs claybar kit -- which consists of the tiny clay bar and a bottle of spray on detailer -- can be had for cheaper. Go down to your local craft store and buy a $2 dollar box of clay and then also go buy the spray on detailer seperately. Bigger crafts stores will have non-colored clay and some will just have assorted colored clay. My last box was assorted and honestly, it makes no difference.

Keeping the surface that you are using the clay bar wet is the KEY.

Now post pics when you are done!

You can buy the clay bars separate....but I couldn't tell you where. Guess it just depends on what the store decides to stock and what sells.

You could just buy a kit...take it home and swap clay bars....then return it....but that would be just wrong :D

FivePointStang said:
Ive found that over the years of using claybars that the Meguirs claybar kit -- which consists of the tiny clay bar and a bottle of spray on detailer -- can be had for cheaper. Go down to your local craft store and buy a $2 dollar box of clay and then also go buy the spray on detailer seperately. Bigger crafts stores will have non-colored clay and some will just have assorted colored clay. My last box was assorted and honestly, it makes no difference.

Keeping the surface that you are using the clay bar wet is the KEY.

Now post pics when you are done!

So ... it's just a 'regular' bar of clay?? Nothing special about it? :shrug:

Its nothing like modeling clay. The clay is tacky, and doesnt come apart like modeling clay. I would use the stuff intended for this purpose.

Who uses quick detailer?

The easiest way is start with a section of the car, like the roof. Wash the roof like you normally would and rinse it off. Then I take my sponge back out of the bucket and ring it out onto the spot im about to clay bar. Then clay bar it. Continue to do each area like that. No need for special detailer. The first time I ever claybarred anything I did it that way, and Ive never had the slightest scratch from it. However I constantly knead/fold the clay so im using a fresh side.

DTNODYA said:
So ... it's just a 'regular' bar of clay?? Nothing special about it? :shrug:

I have used the modeling claybar for years with the same results as the claybar that comes with the Meguirs kit. Try it out for yourself... The surface will feel as smooth as glass, just like with the clay from the kit. What have you got to lose other than a few bucks?