In general, how do stock '65s handle twisties

• Sponsors (?)

1 is a beautiful road to drive. I drive it 2 times a year on the motorcycle with our group rides.
But...
It is a horrible road to shake out problems on the car. No shoulders if you have a problem and cliffs that drop 300 feet into the ocean. Gas stations or repair shops are stretched out far apart along the road and there is very little cell phone service if you do have a problem.
Take 101 and definitely do the 17 mile drive. Bring the camera and take lots of pictures of you and the Stang at usual photo op places. And enjoy all the smiles from people looking at you and your cool car.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

Roadside attractions . . . if you drink, (and don't overdo it) Laetitia winery somewhere near SLO and Costa de Oro are nice stops right off 101. It helps while traveling if you have some kind of smartphone - I have the iPhone and the Yelp app to look up wineries, restaurants, etc, so each trip down 101 is a little different. Maybe Solvang/Buellton or Pea Soup Andersen's would be fun places to shop and let people check out your ride, or Paso Robles for gas or lunch. Lots of car guys in Paso.

Do NOT stop for gas in Salinas. Gangs. Don't get that fastback fast-jacked.

How's this for a ride home in a new Mustang...

My brother purchased a 65 Mustang in Southern California when he lived there but knowing soon he was coming back home to New Jersey. After tuning everything up, engine and brakes, I flew out to him in CA and we drove it back to NJ some 3000 miles. We went over the Hover Dam, drove threw Vegas, and even passed by the Grand Canon before heading up to Rt 70 to head East. 4 days later we made it with out any issues. WHAT A BLAST! This by the way was not a show car by any means, it was and is still is a work in progress. When we got home, people said you drove that across the country? Like we were nuts!

Just got back!! There were... complications... :(

The car started overheating just past SLO (about 125 mi. into my journey). The temp gauge does not work, so my indication was the white smoke pluming from beneath the hood. When I popped the hood, I noticed that the over flow hose had come out of the reservoir. Put that back in, filled the rad with water, started up, no more smoke.
Another 15 miles later, started doing the same thing. This time, spraying coolant on my windshield. Put the over flow hose back in, filled the rad again, and drove on a bit. Being a Saturday afternoon, no service stations were open. I couldn't even find an auto parts store that was open.
I did find a gas station that gave me some duct tape and a ziptie to make sure the hose stayed put. But the rad and the o.f. reservoir were still smoking. I had to stop for the night in Buellton.
Next morning, tried to take it slowly, no smoke for about 20 miles, then I noticed some coming from the right exhaust manifold. That's when I got the tow truck for the last 140 miles. :nonono:
Apparently the guy who sold it to me and said it ran great did not drive it that much.
I will post pictures in a bit.

Not quite 17 mile drive but...

IMG_0361.jpg

chris66dad--
if the hg is bad, that could've been causing the overheating from the start, right? But it could also be the other way around I suppose. It would help if my temp gauge had been working.

My shop manual is already on the way (would've been nice to have it for the ride), as well as a compression tester and remote starter. Not exactly how I wanted this relationship to begin.

At least the PO is taking care of the flatbed tow to my house. And would you believe that the driver actually went through an In n' Out drive through (horseshoe shaped) with my car on back. Nearly soiled myself when he took out a hedge and almost got stuck.

As someone who has had his fair share of roadside delays, I am going to offer some simple advice.

Always try to give yourself plenty of extra time when setting off on long rides that take you far away from home. If something does come up and you still have a little extra time, it is much easier to relax and sort out the situation instead of panicking and becoming frustrated. One of the upsides to breaking down every now and then is it gives one the opportunity to meet new people and swap stories. Believe me, everyone and their uncle seems to have had a classic Mustang at some point in their life and about half of those people still know where one is sitting behind a barn somewhere.
I think that it is the roadside/service station bonding experience that makes the Mustang community what it is. You don't have to pull into a car show to receive compliments about your car (no matter what kind of shape it is in -- broken down or not). Eventually, so long as you can stay calm, there will be someone who can give you a hand and make sure your baby makes it home safely.

-Donnie

You probably blew the gasket on high temp. Do the other gauges work in the car?
When you replace the head gasket (after doing your compression check first) make sure you put the gasket on in the right direction. It is marked FRONT on the gasket and it goes to the front of the car.
Check the thermostat and make sure it works, consider getting a shroud for the fan to direct the air, see if the radiator needs to be flushed or replaced. The 17 inch radiator can barely keep the car cool on a hot day in traffic I found. I am sure others have other suggestions of things to check.
I was not worried about keeping it original so I replaced the radiator with a 20 inch aluminum unit, installed a overflow-recover tank, use water wetter, and installed an electric fan. It can idle all day in 100 degree weather and never get hot. Info and pics: Cooling

Welcome to the Mustang club! We will teach you the secret handshake soon... ;)

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

Glad to hear you made it safe . . . upgrade time?

Voodoo -- great to hear you made it back safe. Buellton's a great little spot and hope you made it to Mother Hubbard's or Andersen's for breakfast. That's a gorgeous car - the vintage burgundy and the indian fire red are great colors, love either one. Nice pic, even though you didn't get to take any of the more scenic routes.

Think of it this way - you saved yourself at least half of the towing cost of towing it the whole way. :D And now that something's broken, you have a good excuse to upgra . . . I mean, fix it. If it were my car, and I were in SoCal, it would be aluminum radiator and electric fan time, and while those heads are off, why not a Victor Jr. and some AFR heads while you're at it? :nice: Breakdowns are opportunity knocking at your door, hard.