installing spark plugs...

Hey guys, i got some bosch platinum spark plugs...and i wanted to know if anyone can help me how to install these on my car... can someone please give me a step by step procedure in how to do this? What kind of tools do i need..and i know there is a certain measure in the spark plugs gap, how do i measure this?

• Sponsors (?)

well before you do anything make sure each plug is gapped correctly, to get these specs get a chilton or what ever manual there are many places to get the info just get more than one soucre to make sure they are the same, I belive for pre 99 its 42... but not sure.

after all are gapped, clear off a place or take a peice of card board and number each cylinder and make a hole to put teh plugs you remove to inspect them later on after you are done.

you need to buy anti seeze and soem of that contact greese for the plugs

remove ONLY one plug wire at a time this way you cant get them confused, so only do ONE at a time and then move on.

you will need a spark plug socket, a ratchet, and a small extension to do the job.

pick a side and go at it, if its the passenger side use a screw driver and remove the air tube (black thing) from the throttle body and then use a 8mm socket (i think that or 10mm) to unbolt the air intake tube from the fender well down in the bottom corner of the engien bay, then it will slide out after you unplug the sensor from the tube (REMEMBER TO PLUG IT BACK UP!)

sit it aside, good time to change the air filter!

next after you take a plug wire off a spark plug, slidet he plug wire socket over the plug and remove it, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT MAKING IT TIGHER but removing it) after you have removed it sit it aside in the area you have set up for it, double check the gap on the new ones, then add antiseeze to the plug's threads and EASE IT IT, DO NOT FORCE EM take a note of the angle the old plug was at and try to start it at the same angle, they will start nice and easy.. just take your time and ease it in, then snug it down, once its snug tighten it but do not go an dptu 100ft lbs on it... after its snug to a half turn and that should take care of it, next put a little of that contact greese on the end of the plug and stick the plug wire back on, you will feel a little click or hear it when the plug wire is back on good.

continue this until you are done, the back ones are the hardest.. especially the back driver side...

With aluminum heads it's very easy to strip the threads in the head if you cross-thread the plugs. A trick that I use is to slip a short (maybe 1") length of appropriately-sized fuel line or vacuum line rubber hose over the terminal on the end of the plug (where the plug wire goes) and use that as a "handle" to get 'em started. Keeps you from "forcing" the plug into the hole crooked and cross-threading it. Once you tighten it as much as possible with the rubber hose, then go to the socket.

Don't forget the anti-sieze grease.