Installing VT stg 1 N/A Cams.

stangman said:
if you bring the mustang with your friends TT to chattanooga, we can take care of that install in my garage while you're here ;)
thanks a lot for the invitation, but we already went and came back in june. TOTD was insane! my fav rd was Cherhola Skyway though

• Sponsors (?)

RageStangX said:
Ok guys as promised 272hp and 293tq

Mods included

Xpipe
Magnapack catback
K&N aircharger intake
chip
cams... :nice:
thanks for posting the numbers. can you post the dyno chart too? i wanna see the curve. what kinda chip? how was A/F ratio? how differently (if any) does your car act/pull w/ the new cams?

EDIT: also, was that w/ or w/o a tune?

Here's my VT Stage 1 Dyno if this helps anyone...

Dyno.jpg

Attachments

• Dyno.jpg
    Dyno.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 79
DerekStangGT said:
yeah, it helps. what were all your mods? and was that before/after just the cams?

Yes, that was just the cam install. I gained 33rwhp and 13rwtq with the cams. My mods: Steeda CAI, Accufab TB/Plenum, Steeda Intake Spacer, Steeda T/A, Steeda Pulleys, VT Stage 1 Cams, Bassani O/R X-pipe, Steeda Cat Back, 3:73's and a Superchips tune.

The install and tune was done by Steeda.

BLKsteeda said:
Yes, that was just the cam install. I gained 33rwhp and 13rwtq with the cams. My mods: Steeda CAI, Accufab TB/Plenum, Steeda Intake Spacer, Steeda T/A, Steeda Pulleys, VT Stage 1 Cams, Bassani O/R X-pipe, Steeda Cat Back, 3:73's and a Superchips tune.

The install and tune was done by Steeda.
wow, very nice numbers. do u know if VT recommends an aftermarket TB/Plenum with the stg 1 or 2 cams? im not sure if i can slap some cams in my car w/ stock exhaust manifolds and a stock TB/Plenum :shrug:

RageStangX said:
Ok the chip is an sct, and it was done by kauffmans performance in dillsburg pa.Ill post the a/f chart at a later time.I can definately feel more pull ALOT more pull through the rpm range i love it.

Rage how is the driveablity of your car after the cams/tune? I have my heads and stage 1s waiting to be installed and was a bit worried after orig poster talked about bucking etc. How is yoru car?

03ghoststang said:
but did any of you change valve springs?
the question of the hour! can everyone share their pricing experience too please? as with any big purchase, theres always gonna be little "supporting mods" you need, so the price tends to skyrocket quickly

Valve springs run around $200. But let me tell you, installing valve springs with the heads OFF of the car is a PAIN (66s heads I belive..could have been its stock ones) and with the 4.6, the springs are on the underside and with the extreme angle of the heads/block I couldnt imagine. Especially after doing this instal, if I HAD to replace springs(like for stg 2s), IMHO I would probably NOT do cams. You have to screw in an air hose in each chamber to ensure that the valves stay seated durring the spring change (means two springs at a time), and you will also want to rotate the engine to get the pistion of that chamber UP so if a valve does drop, you can pick it back up out of the cylinder.(also have to remove all front accesorys and front cover, then retime the engine after its done) Not trying to discourage you LOL, but adding a spring change turns it into a whole different ball game from the fairly simple instal that we had. Stg 2s gain only 10RWHP over the 1s, and below 3500 the stg 1s are stronger in both HP and torque (the stg 1s are just as strong as the stock cams below 3500...stg 2s loose power). Also with stg 2s you should shift at 6500 for best performance..and frankly, our cars wont last long shifting that high. I considered all this before deciding on my stg 1s, and hearing/watching vids of both cams, I PERSONALLY thought the stg 1s were a much better idea for a street driven GT. Those stg 2s really thump pretty hard. But to avoid any bucking, just dont drive around at 1K. Its kinda fun to do in parking lots as everyone knows why its bucking LOL and can hear the cam (sounding MUCH better now...its hitting pretty good at idle with A/C OFF...with A/C on it smooths out). Derek, it also depends on what your going to do with the car later on. Just giving you same facts between the 2 cams, you can probably see why I opted for stg 1s. :D :rlaugh: (good luck, either way)

To christie, I will probably go to the CCS tuning place that Derek recomended. I have met the guy before, been to his shop, and he has tuned my friends 02 SS. The guy is pretty blunt, but supposedly knows what he is doing. I met him through that same friend BTW.

TOTAL Cost for me was: $549 (cams)
Other than that you need that red/green lube that I mentioned in my writeup. Thanks everone for your replys....cant wait to get it on the dyno, waiting on my BBK 75MM TB...installed JLT RAI yesterday. (not much difference, but I cant tell as i cant hit it so....but revs even more free now with the JLT.)
Power with the cams seems about the same as before...stronger at some times, and weaker at others...depends on how long I have been driving it...IAT relocation will fix that.