Intermittant CEL and idle rpm increase.

Hi everyone.

Car, 1995 GT, stock motor, auto.

Driving to work today car started like normal (700rpm) but 5 mins down the road the CEL came on. I pulled over and noticed increased rpm to about 1200rpm in park.

Stopped the engine, checked the plugs to IAC, Tps, alt, battery, all looked good.

Started the car up, everything back to normal so carried on to work, I noticed the CEL came on as I was passing thru around 1500 rpm, pulled over and again rpm was up at 1200rpm in park.

Got to work with out any hassle but rpm was still up at 1200rpm when I arrived.

Shut the car and down restarted it. Rpm fluctuated between 700 and 900, and with a blip to the throttle it sat back at 1200rpm again.

Tomorrow I'm going to check,
1. TPS readings,
2. Vac lines
3. IAC, give it a clean.
4. Check the manifold upper to lower gasket, and anything else around the area.

I suspect the TPS is on its way out, would this be a fair guess?

Cheers

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Hi everyone.

Car, 1995 GT, stock motor, auto.

Driving to work today car started like normal (700rpm) but 5 mins down the road the CEL came on. I pulled over and noticed increased rpm to about 1200rpm in park.

Stopped the engine, checked the plugs to IAC, Tps, alt, battery, all looked good.

Started the car up, everything back to normal so carried on to work, I noticed the CEL came on as I was passing thru around 1500 rpm, pulled over and again rpm was up at 1200rpm in park.

Got to work with out any hassle but rpm was still up at 1200rpm when I arrived.

Shut the car and down restarted it. Rpm fluctuated between 700 and 900, and with a blip to the throttle it sat back at 1200rpm again.

Tomorrow I'm going to check,
1. TPS readings,
2. Vac lines
3. IAC, give it a clean.
4. Check the manifold upper to lower gasket, and anything else around the area.

I suspect the TPS is on its way out, would this be a fair guess?

Cheers

Chris
I'm having this exact same symptoms, I have an 89 2.3 with rebuilt Jensen engine, car never ran like this before I got this engine, however when I look threw my files for repairs about the old engine my fuel stuff had to be replaced and fuel grommet, egr and evap smog help, whatever all that is. So now I have this issue with a different engine. I spent a pretty penny for a new engine. I'm tapped out and don't want to take it back becuz they didnt even replace cracked vacuum hoses or plug one back in. Now 2 years later with newer engine & I have codes 83,31,31 with code reader. Now im not a mechanic and don't know that's why I am here, but ive used Lucas gas injector cleaner and it helped with fluctuated surging at 700 then 1300 mayne Lucas oil also cleared code 23 month ago and maybe the 83 but. 83 is back. Maybe a part somewhere is hitting it's 30 year mark.