is it worth it?

Ok I have been beside myself for a year now whether to make my mustang fast or just get a lighter more agile car. I want to do a transmission swap and slap on a turbo but costs close to $8,500 not including transmission install (I dont have a lift or tools). And the end result is a fast 3500 pd brick that can move in a straight line IF there is traction. Then another load of money is put into the suspension. I am wondering if I am better off just purchasing a more performance oriented platform to build on. Is there a cheaper way to 450rwhp that I have overlooked?

• Sponsors (?)

03 cobra is the exact opposite of what he is wanting.

i too have mulled this over long and hard. what it comes down to is how much money are you willing to spend?

for 30k you can get an 02 ZO6

for 25k you could prolly get a real built FD RX-7, evo, sti.

for 10k you could build a 1g DSM, MR2, and if you are secure in your manhood you can turbo a miata.

you could get a supercharged E36 M3 for 20k. its gonna cost you alot to get to 450 though.

all in all don't underestimate the ability of your vert to handle well. it takes some time and money, but in the long run money spent on suspension will be far more gratifying than money spent on huge horsepower.

I dont know.

I guess I need to drive a vert that has some suspension work done to it. Does the heavy boat feeling ever go away? or is it just a characteristic of the platform?

I was recently looking into the ls1 swapped rx-7's people seem to be selling them already swapped for about 20k. Apparently somone with mechanical experience can pull it off for 16k which includes the car and swap.

If you saw an LS1 powered FD for $20K or less .... I want to see it! It's hard to find a regular FD for that cheap anymore. I woud remove my left testicle with a wooden spoon & sell it if I could get one of those. :drool:

Engel said:
I dont know.

I guess I need to drive a vert that has some suspension work done to it. Does the heavy boat feeling ever go away? or is it just a characteristic of the platform?

the only thing i can't get rid of is the nose dive during hard braking. i prolly could if i would put a torque arm or 3 link in it.

when my hardtop is off my car feels very nimble. i compare it to my friends E36 M3. keep in mind i still do not have any type of chassis reinforcement---that is soon to change. then i will get more agressive with springs/shocks.

if i could get my hands on a LS1 FD.......

i have sat in a few and find it very uncomfortable to ingress/egress, and i'm not that big 6' 230. imo they are just as cramped as a miata.

I just have to chime in and say this......it is all about what you want.......I know there will always be someone who will out run/ out corner etc..my car...but I love our cars.....I like "wrenching" on it....I can be home with the family...and not out getting into trouble.....If your car is paid for then you budget is better for mods than if you have a hefty monthy payment.......any car can be made faster or suspension modded......it's just what "flavor" you choose........good luck with the choice.
Will

First thing I'd wanna ask ;)

Is the Stang your daily driver?

If so, you may find a high hp car isn't all that great for a dd :shrug:

As for me, I like the fact not everybody can say they built a car that performs a good bit better than stock.

Grady

:nice:
SeventyMach1 said:
If you saw an LS1 powered FD for $20K or less .... I want to see it! It's hard to find a regular FD for that cheap anymore. I woud remove my left testicle with a wooden spoon & sell it if I could get one of those. :drool:

It depends where you look people around here generally let them go (stock) for 12k in great condition. Or you can by a roller for under 9k. Apparently if you do most the work yourself you can buy the roller and do the swap for 16k give or take a few hundred :nice:

final5-0 said:
First thing I'd wanna ask ;)

Is the Stang your daily driver?

If so, you may find a high hp car isn't all that great for a dd :shrug:

As for me, I like the fact not everybody can say they built a car that performs a good bit better than stock.

Grady

It is a daily driver, but the ride quality/seats do not make it to great of a daily driver anyway imho.

Engel said:
It is a daily driver, but the ride quality/seats do not make it to great of a daily driver anyway imho.

I would tell you to talk to several peeps who have high hp cars and get the straight skinny on what its like to keep em runnin.

All I'm tryin to bring up is this :shrug:

The farther you move from stock ... the more unreliable the OLE STANG is gonna become.

If it is your dd ... well ... I'm just tryin to help :)

I ain't tryin to spoil all your fun :nono:

Grady