Paint and Body Is there a canned primer I can use

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't recommend spray can primer for any final priming.

There are various rattle can primers to use though. Use an etch primer to spray over bare metals to achieve adhesion. The acid in the rattle can is similar enough to what I use at work to be insignificant in differences.

A "filler" primer in a spray (rattle) can is not the thing to use. It is a laquer based primer and shrinks back tremendously.

I use rattle can primer at work to provide coverage over SMALL areas I sand through when blocking out a primered bondo area.

You will want a catalyzed primer for your mustang.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Yep, Lacquer at one time was the choice for show finishes and GM used lacquer on almost all their cars from the factory. All spot paint work was done with lacquer. I did many overall paint jobs in lacquer but most overalls were done in polyurethanes (Amer-flint, Imron). Lacquer had many bad qualities though, Prolonged time in the sun would crack it (crazing),Had to be buffed and it dulled faster than today's finishes. Not to mention having to sand it, it would just roll up and clog sandpaper.Been in the business 40 years, I remember those day well.

Yep, Lacquer at one time was the choice for show finishes and GM used lacquer on almost all their cars from the factory. All spot paint work was done with lacquer. I did many overall paint jobs in lacquer but most overalls were done in polyurethanes (Amer-flint, Imron). Lacquer had many bad qualities though, Prolonged time in the sun would crack it (crazing),Had to be buffed and it dulled faster than today's finishes. Not to mention having to sand it, it would just roll up and clog sandpaper.Been in the business 40 years, I remember those day well.
Very cool, not many older painters left around, seems like a lot of kids now.

I LOVED Imron! Mind you, it stuck to everything.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user