Is there a tech area that lists specs?

I know this isn't directly II related, but a buddy of mine was asking me about the spline count on the disc 8.8 in a 95 GT he picked up. I figured it shouldn't be hard to find out, but I can't find any tech pages that would be helpfull. Heck, I can't find ANY info like that here anywhere.

Am I just missing the tech section, or am I spoiled by my experience at the "other" site?

• Sponsors (?)

I know this isn't directly II related, but a buddy of mine was asking me about the spline count on the disc 8.8 in a 95 GT he picked up. I figured it shouldn't be hard to find out, but I can't find any tech pages that would be helpfull. Heck, I can't find ANY info like that here anywhere.

Am I just missing the tech section, or am I spoiled by my experience at the "other" site?

Not sure if it is on this site anywhere, but here is a link to an article that should answer your question:

The Ford 8.8 Mustang Rear End - Limited Slip Differential - Car Craft Magazine

Axle spline count should be 28 on all Mustangs until 2005 when Ford went to 31 spline axles.

That's where some of the confusion seems to be. Some sources list the 94-95 Cobra with the disc brake 8.8 as being 31 spline as well. My buddy wants to swap one into his '90 coupe project, and wants to know the spline count so he can order a spool for it:D

I'm 99.9% sure that the 2005 GT's were the first Mustangs with 31 spline axles from the factory, unless the '69 - '72 428 SCJ's also had them.

I recall that the addition of the 31 spline axles for the 2005 V8 cars was kind of a selling point for Ford at the time. The V6 Mustangs stayed with 28 spline axles.

You are right...a good spec sheet for each generation of Mustang would be a good addition to this site...possibly gathered by the users of each generation Forum?

It could even be done in the form of a Wiki...hmmm:
Ford Mustang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And:
Fifth-generation Ford Mustang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Fith-Generation Wiki (under the "Mustang GT" heading):
"The current Mustang GT also comes equipped with a limited slip differential complete with the same carbon-fiber clutch discs used in the 2003 to 2004 SVT Cobra and the 2007 Shelby GT500. The differential is designed for the 31-spline axles and the 8.8-inch (220 mm) ring gear."

This doesn't specifically say that it is a new feature, but I didn't see it in the "4th Gen" section.

I don't rely on Wiki as anything more than a general guideline. Its great for regular info, but the format is way too open for any definitive data to go by.

I can't see why Ford would wait so long to go 31 spline on the Mustang 8.8 (the old CJ cars would have had an 8" or 9" anyway, wouldn't they?) when they used it on the Explorer and Ranger STX from 90 on. I think we're just going to tear into it and see for sure before ordering anything.

But at least on the II, there were only two diffs used (the 8" and the 6.75"), with no change in spline counts. Also almost impossible to mistake one for the other :D

The Car Craft article that Welder linked to above states that the axles became 31 spline in '94 and I haven't been able to find anything directly contradicting that on several sites (Ford Racing Parts, PartsAmerica.com), so i give up.

I would bet that a big axle supplier like Moser or Strange could tell you in a second.

Let us know when you find out. I'm curious now...