It sucks to be me

AP1995V6

Jul 13, 2003
Oxford, MS
Remember all of those pretty pictures of my car?

Well, there's a huge dent in it now. :nonono:

I was sitting in a parking lot at a gas station, and the guy parked next to me backed out too sharply and clipped my driver's side rear fender. It's warped and my scoop is cracked.

So... back to the body shop for another 2 months :rolleyes: They'll probably end up replacing the fender. The body shop I use refuses to use bondo. :nice:

I did manage to gather a congregation of 14 year old kids around my car. :nice:

I'll post a picture of the damage tomorrow when the sun is up.

• Sponsors (?)

He was pretty cool about it. He freaked out when I told him that I had just paid $4000 for the body work 2 weeks ago.

He was a 16 year old kid out cruising in his Mom's Yukon. I was really mad, but I figure he's going to be in deep enough with his parents. And they use a high-risk insurance so I'm sure his parents are going to love having another strike against them.

The cop even asked about my car before he asked for our license and registration. :nice:

AP1995V6 said:
He was pretty cool about it. He freaked out when I told him that I had just paid $4000 for the body work 2 weeks ago.

He was a 16 year old kid out cruising in his Mom's Yukon. I was really mad, but I figure he's going to be in deep enough with his parents. And they use a high-risk insurance so I'm sure his parents are going to love having another strike against them.

The cop even asked about my car before he asked for our license and registration. :nice:

That tells ya it was good :nice: Maybe you can tell them to pay it for you "under the table" and not take it through the insurance and you can collect some extra money for "time and aggrevasion"?

haha we'll see.

I'm worried about the insurance company trying to argue that the damage exceeds the value of the car. Since I'm sure the market value for a 1995 V6 is like $4k-ish, and insurance companies usually only pay up to like 70% of the value of the car or something. That's going to suck if they tell me they'll have to total my car because of a fender bender.

I'll see what the body shop diagnosis is, and if the insurance company tries to do that I'm going to argue that it's a customized car and they'll have to eat it.

It would suck for someone to restore a '67 Fastback and the market value (the estimate the value by local sales over a certain period of time), and the value wasn't even close to the costs of restoring the car.

I haven't talked to my insurance company about increasing the coverage on my car, but I hope these people the other guy is with are sensible about the situation.

If that doesn't work out, I guess there's always the under the table approach, but I'd prefer this to be all kept on record. Just a personal preference.

honestly i doubt that will amount to over 2,000. I just got sideswiped back in december and the guy took off. My rearview mirror is cracked and the whole asembly has to be replaced plus theres a dent on my fenderwell that has to be pulled and the whole fender repainted. Total damage, 696 dollars. I think you'll be ok man

Yeah. I dropped it off at my body shop this morning, but I wasn't able to get the police report since it didn't get turned in last night.

I'll find out Tuesday or Wednesday what the estimate is for the repairs.